Connecting multiple Power Output pins

I’m using a 6-pin connector to power the PCB. This connector regulates LI-PO battery to 5.4V-3A. These 6 pins are:
1 - GND
2 - GND
3 - Battery Voltage
4 - Battery Current
5 - 5.4V
6 - 5.4V

There are 2 GND and 2 5.4V pins, perhapse for a larger current supply.

I created a symbol and selected “Power Output” type for pins 1, 2, 5 and 6. The ERC reports error of connecting “Power Output” pin to another “Power Output” pin. So what is the proper way to deal with this kind of connector?

Stack the duplicated pins and make the hidden one a passive pin. See Electrical type of schematic symbol pins (KiCad 4 and KiCad 5) section Connecting multiple output pins

1 Like

Or, depending on preference as has been discussed before, don’t stack but still make one passive. Some think seeing all pins make it easier for techs to trouble shoot. They are looking at the schematic and looking for an element with four pins when there are really six physical.

In that case make all passive or don’t run ERC as it is useless anyways now. As i describe in my post: one must decide between ERC and seeing all pins. (And i do not see any way out of that. Not even with a new file format as it would require ERC looking at more than just nets)

Yes, the OP can make all passive and put a power flag on the net right next to the connector. Or also using the power flag they user can make the power pins of the connector power input type pins to potentially catch accidentally wiring the connector wrong.

@ekaradon
Several ways to skin this cat. There really isn’t one “proper” way.

The power flag symbol as I bring up can either be thought of an extraneous kluge to get the ERC to shut up, or a useful documentation feature to explicitly show where on the schematic the power is being supplied. I, personally, subscribe to the latter, but if you search on this forum enough you will see that there are others that subscribe to the former. Somehow I think neither of us are wrong. :wink:

2 Likes

This is indeed the problem:

The “Power Output” pin type is exclusively for devices that output power. Once you want to start charging your Battery, it is not a power output anymore, and therefore the “Power Output” pin type can not be used.

There are a few batteries in Eeschema’s libs, but the pin types of these are also set to “passive” because batteries can be connected in series or parallel, and this goes currently beyond the capability of Eeschema’s ERC check.

But if you want, you can set things up do do a ngSpice simulation in Eeschema…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.