Connected pad has extra wire to ground plane

Hello,
the attached image shows a circuit with a ground plane. I am wondering why the grounded pads also have traces and vias to the ground plane. Is there a method to avoid this behavior?
You may find the via near R20 and Q5.

Matthias

I don’t quite understand the question. It can be avoided by not adding traces and vias. KiCad doesn’t magically add them, somebody has added them in one way or another. Maybe you can tell more about the circumstances, workflow etc.

Maybe this image illustrates my problem. You see a wire from one grounded pad to another which crosses thru the ground plane and obviously is merged with the ground plane. Why is this?
In my schematic I don’t have any mysterious connections, just usual symbols for ground on the particular nets.
For the mounting holes I just have assigned the pads to GND. It seems if the ground plane does not recognize the associated pads although they seem connected to.
Any idea?

Do you want to point to the orange marked track? (see picture) ?
That track was drawn by a user. And because it’s the same netname as the polygon it got merged into the GND-zone. I fail to see the problem.
It’s common to draw some GND-connections manually and to leave some GND-connections for the automatic zone filling.

There are a lot more showing on the PCB, top and bottom layers plus vias.

That’s why I asked about circumstances, workflow etc. Somebody has drawn the tracks manually or in some automated but non-default way. Autorouter? Another person before adding zones?

Just noticed:

Different topic, same PCB:
ksnip_20230602-001953

Something needs to be done with this top layer GND.

The only insulation between the top layer GND and the metal fuse holders is the solder mask.

There are a lot more showing on the PCB, top and bottom layers plus vias.

maybe someone has routed the complete board, inclusive the GND-connection, and than afterwards filled the zone (I do this also sometimes - if the GND-connection is important I prefer to route the GND myself)

2 Likes

I’m wondering why there is no DRC error in the area circled below (and others…):

Maybe it’s not been run or settings are way to loose.

Sure, but there might be something else going on. The clearance might come from the zone properties, but the netclass clearance of the respective nets does not reflect it.
Ok, stopping the guesswork NOW :wink:

That’s exactly what I had questioned. Were does this extra GND-traces come from? The routing was done by freerouting automatically. But I was not using its design rules i.e overwriting of the KiCad rules was refused when loading the dsn-file into freerouting. So only KiCad rules are applied.

Got it! thank’s guys a lot. The trouble came from a inconsistent ground plane design. When drawing the rectangle over the whole pcb I oversaw that rectangle was not really closed. I fixed it and run another routing and yep! the extra traces were gone.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.