Confirm the KICAD version used

Hi,

I have a KiCad design file and need to determine the version in which it was created. In the schematic PDF, it states “KICAD E.D.A eeschema (2013-05-31 bzr 4019)”.

Could you please check and confirm which version this corresponds to?

Thank you.

That version as far I know is referred to “old stable”, It’s some version before 4.0.0 was released. I guess you could call it 3.0, but before 4.0.0, Kicad version numbers were mainly referenced by their release date and the “bzr” number. (“bzr” stands for the Bazaar version control system and was used before Git)

I don’t think versions before 4.0.0 are downloadable anywhere. If you can’t open the files with a new version, your best bet is trying to open it with KiCad 4.0.

What are the goals you want to achieve with that?

The oldest post on the Blog on the KiCad website is shown below. Apparently the bzr 4022 was nicknamed “old stable”, so your version seems to be a bit older.

Before gitlab, KiCad was on: KiCad in Launchpad and a quick glance shows: Version 0.0.20110616-1 uploaded on 2011-06-17 which is years before your old version, but I have not looked any deeper.

Thanks everyone,

I have tried with version 7.0.11 but it is showing to Rescue few symbols.

That doesn’t necessarily have to be a problem. Older version used a weird format for the symbols.

But if 7.0.11 doesn’t open the project properly, I’d try to install the latest 4.x version you can find, open the project with that, save it again (as a copy) and open the resulting project in 7.0.11 or even the newest 8.0.x.

That said, the symbol dimensions and lots of other stuff have changed with the 4.0 and later releases, so unless your project is very large, it can make sense to just recreate it with the new version based on the PDFs.

I repeat:

Apparently you do not really care about how old that version is, but your goal is to import into a recent KiCad. Is that correct?

In KiCad V4 and older, the graphics of symbols were not stored into the schematic file (nor even in the project) itself. Old KiCad versions rely on the availability of external libraries for all symbols used in the project.

Converstion of such old KiCad files to a modern KiCad version likely is not automatic. You probably have to make a lot of use of Schematic Editor / Tools / Edit Symbol Library Links to fix your schematic. But before you can do so, it’s likely you first have to add the used libraries manually to your project.

1 Like

It’s a big project and I have do only minor changes in the schematic.

Ok, regardless if you want to do the changes in the ancient KiCad version or open it in a current one, you have to find and add the old libraries, as @paulvdh wrote. if you cant find them, you will have to fix or recreate any symbols that fail to “rescue” manually.

I dont have much experience in KiCAD.
I have clicked on RESCUE and the schematic page open, and it asked to save the file to migrate to new version

That should be fine, the cached symbol looks good. Just click “Rescue Symbols” and save the symbols to a library you created earlier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.