Configure Global Symbol/Footprint Library Table

I’m just getting started with KiCad.

When I attempt to open and application other than KiCad I’m prompted to copy or create symbol or footprint table (depending on which app I attempt to open.)

The message states, “If you are not sure which option to select, please use the default selection”. The problem is, that this option is grayed out - and therefore not available as a selection:

Not sure how to proceed.

I’ve excited to starte learning KiCad and EDA.

Thank you for the help.

Aside: As I wasn’t sure how to proceed, I had to “force quit” application - as there was no option to cancel, etc. Not a big deal, just an FYI.

Are you using MacOS? In that case it’s a packaging problem and is being worked on.

In the future, please give always the exact version information from Help->About->Copy Vesion Info. (Or was it in KiCad->… on Mac?)

I’m not sure but I think you can use 5.1.4 without problems - 5.1.5 has that problem. Update later when a new package version of 5.1.5 appears.

Sorry about that rookie error.

macOS Catalina 10.15.2:

From KiCad:

Is this the correct link to 5.1.4 download?

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/osx/stable/kicad-unified-5.1.4-0-10_14.dmg

I don’t have or use Mac, but should be if this 10.14 package is compatible with Catalina.

There’s that “Copy Version Information” button, use that to copy, then paste the text here. (No need to do that now, but in the future.)

If I were to stay with 5.1.5, is there no other viable option? Maybe creating an empty symbol/footprint table? I don’t know enough abut the system and/or subject matter to make that call; thought it was worth asking.

Thank you.

You can add the libs manually to the lib table by use of the library manager (assuming the libraries are installed) See Library management in KiCad version 5

You can also download the lib table from github and copy that one to your config directory Where are the configuration files (settings, library tables)? If you use this option then make sure the path variables point to the correct directory. (Benefit you get the library descriptions we add to the official lib. Downside you might need to handle path variables)

If the library files are not installed then download the lib files from github. Details in the library management FAQ article posted above (section “Updating the official library” and below)

Thank you for taking the time to share. I’ll take a look at resources and consider the pros and cons. Thanks you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.