Components won't load in footprint

Hello, I’m new to KiCad, and I’m following some instructions to build my first PCB. So far everything seems to working with the schematic and footprints, but when I open PCBnew from schematic, I load my netlist, there are no errors, but the screen doesn’t turn black and display all the parts like in the tutorial. I’m not sure what part I am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hard to say without more information, but try selecting Preferences -> Modern Toolset (Accelerated), especially if you’re on OSX.

If that doesn’t fix it, please provide some version information (kicad version and your operating system), and screenshots.

1 Like

It is right, but suggests that you are using some old tutorial.
In KiCad V5 preferred method of updating netlist at PCB to current netlist from schematic is to use Tools -> Update PCB from schematic (also button in top toolbar).
KiCad can work in old Legacy Toolset (F9) or modern Toolset (F11 or F12) - see in Preferences menu.
Screen looks differently. Use one of modern Toolsets.

2 Likes

This fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.