Component placement and arrangement in best way to attrace and good functional of PCB for product development

How to place the components in better way to proceed with good product

Please elaborate your needs and the question further.

It depends who defines the “good” meaning.
For example for marketing the rule to make a good product can be:

• place a hot element as close as possible to electrolytic capacitor.

The customer will sooner have to buy the next device :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Pcbnew there are several ways to move components.

You can hover the mouse above acomponent and press “m” for move.
Alternatively you can press “t” and then type the Reference name of a component (For example R7 (Not case sensitive).
This second method is handy if you do know which component you want to move, but don’t know where it is. For example if you have the schematic open on antother monitor, or have printed the schematic on a piece of paper.

Maybe you want more general advice.
Component placement is somewhere between trivial and an art of itself. Beginners start with small trivial circuits (such as for example a NE555 to blink a led (Don’t forget the decoupling cap)) and for the more artfull boards you can have a look at "made with KiCad:

I once read a story about a guy who did PCB layout for a living.
He searched for boards with mediocre layout.
Once he found a 12 layer board. he contacted the company and told them:

I can do the layout of that board in 8 layers if you give me EUR 7000.

He was laughed at and the conversation ended.
Then someone at that company got smart and started typing on his calculator.
2 days later he got a phonecall:

If you can get the job done right, it is worth EUR7000 to us.

He re-routed the already existing board, and after verification it still worked got his money. For him it was one of the ways to get a foothold into companies, and after he had proven the quality of his work he often got more jobs from the same companies on project basis.

There may be schools and classes to learn pcb design on different levels.
Another way is to look around for things to learn. For example Euro circuits has a few tips on PCB design:

At the link below you can find a list of PCB manufacturers. Some will have more info on “best pracices” while designing PCB’s.
https://www.eevblog.com/wiki/index.php?title=PCB_Manufacturers

There are many details spread over lots of different sources.
In a datasheet about range of MLCC’s (Multi Layer Ceramic Capacitors) I found layout rules to prevent damaging the capactors by V-scoring.
MLCC’s are brittle / fragile and V-scoring adds bending stress to a PCB at the end of production (Even after testing, because most testing is done on the panels).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.