Component in Layout does not use the configured grid

Ok, I really go nuts. Sorry for that unprofessional intro, but it is crazy how hard easy things can be in that CAD (I was forced to do a layout in KiCAD)

I have a simple schematic with a bunch of components and do the first layout in KiCad (after years of using other tools). I switched the layout grid to 2.54mm for coarse placement. Now I see that one component just does not seem to respect that grid. I cannot align it to another component of the same type, they simply do not seem to share the same grid.

What on earth am I missing here? I just hover over the part, press “m” for move and cannot place one part at the “same” location as another one (also with DRC disabled). If I switch grid in Layout, do I have to do anything else than move tha part so that it is placed on the currently set grid on placement?

Thanks!

do I have to do anything else?

Even if you have much experience with other CAD tools: this does not frees you from reading the documentation/tutorial. Every CAD tool is different.

Please tell us the used kicad version. There are multiple reasons possible for this issue, and some depend on the software version.

If remember well in past (KiCad V5) footprints were grabbed always by their anchor point. But in current versions (I use V7) they can be also grabbed by each pad (and may be more). It can be the source of your problem. Checking/unchecking what can be selected in Selection Filter (in V7 it is right-bottom) can help.
I can also suppose (not sure - I don’t use KiCad for several months) that in preferences can be settings restricting move to horizontal or vertical. If by grabbing by pad you placed footprint with its center off-grid this settings can impede getting back to grid with this footprint.

Are the footprints moving by the grid’s incremental but on a seemingly different grid? Or do they seem not to follow your current grid setting?

Version 8 introduced Grid Overrides, which, as the name implies, overrides the current grid setting.

Right-click on the grid icon in the left toolbar (top icon) and select Edit Grids. Do you have a Grid Override enabled for Footprints?

@Piotr : Ok - I do not yet fully understand HOW this is supposed to work, but you are right. If I unselect all the items but “Footrprints” then it seems that I get the “correct” anchor… I thank you so much - I treid a lot before =)
I can now read up more in the docu!

@baldengineer : Was not the problem in my case but still a valuable input for mw - thanks a lot!

Ah, yeah, you were probably grabbing the pads.

FWIW, I find it very helpful to reduce the selection filter to Footprints only when doing floorplanning. I almost always turn off the Fab layers and often turn off the silk layers, too. It provides less visual clutter.

1 Like

Me too.
I stop at the level of KiCad V5 and didn’t read never version documentations. I plan to do it, but versions changes, changes and I have no time to do it. May be with V10 I will read documentation :slight_smile:
Unfortunately the more possibilities tools has for you the more difficult it can be to use it by beginner.

@beaver

Correct.

If you leave both Footprints and Pads ticked in the Selection Filter, you will select either the centroid or a pad; whichever is closer to the mouse.
If you untick the Pads in the Selection Filter, you will always select the centroid of the footprint.

Also, there is no need to use the M hotkey. Left click to select, then hold Left button down whilst moving mouse will move the object.