Component Ground Plane and Trace Keepout Areas

So what is it?
Did you figure it out, or did it sort itself out?
How can you have both?

Anyway,
Congratulations with your first KiCad project!

A little bit of both. Once I moved the first component, the process became obvious (well almost). It took a bit of thinking but in the end it became more intuitive.

Hotkey ā€˜Mā€™ I suppose.
My way is to move Pcb window to the left (so it is set to use half of my screen), and schematic window to the right (right half of screen). I donā€™t have two monitor setup, but the process of footprint placement is the only one I really need to see pcb and schematic at once.
Whenever I move any footprint (one by one) the right symbol at schematic is highlighted (and schematic moved in window as needed) so I see what I have grabbed. My first action is to divide footprints into groups according to my schematic (I use much bigger space than my PCB will be). Later I make order in each group.
As my PCBs are defined according to conception ā€œwhole bottom is GNDā€ I donā€™t want to see GND net during element placement as I want to see only connections I will have to find the way to route them. To hide GND net I place temporary a big GND zone at top and frequently use ā€˜Bā€™ hotkey.

I know 1117 regulators much longer (I had Burr-Brown paper catalog with REG1117 in it). In my opinion it was one of first attempts to make regulator with dropout as low as possible but without changing NPN to PNP so I donā€™t expect serious stability problems with these regulators. I didnā€™t used them because I donā€™t like their 5mA quiescent current.
Each time I was looking around in linear regulators I was checking if there is something new in 1117 family and few years ago I found LDL1117 with 0.25mA quiescent current so I used it. They write that it is stable with ceramic capacitors and that capacitors have to be as close to IC as possible, but from pictures of stability I see ESR of 20 mĪ© is needed. As Iā€™m not sure if ceramic capacitors I use donā€™t have lower ESR I didnā€™t connected it as short as possible but I intentionally added some mm of track to increase ESR seen by IC a little.

My standard choice for 5V is 78M05 in DPACK (tolerates higher input voltage than 1117). But if you have only 7.5V at input and may be a diode as protection against reverse voltage connection then selecting regulators with lower dropout is right.
The other question is if you care/donā€™t care of 10mA lost for regulators.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.