Component Editor - Copy

Hello,

Im using Kicad for the first time. I need to create a LED-Bargraph. I try to draw the schematic symbol in the kicad component editor. The bargraph has 20 LEDs. Is there no way to copy the diode symbol ? I don’t find a copy function at all in the component editor.

Regards,
Koe

Start with a diode from the library. Use the mouse to do a selection block. Right click and chose duplicate block.

What kicad version do you use? The symbol editor got a massive overhaul in nightly so this is quite an important information for us to help you properly.

I thought I used block copy in V4. Was that not in the symbol editor also?

That part is quite similar but making a new symbol from an old one is completely different now. (The active library stuff does not exist any more.)

I would also assume that this is the part where op has the most problems.

It’s there but not very intuitive, hopefully it is one of the things they fixed for V5.

Draw a selection rectangle around the items you want to copy after you release the mouse button you can then drag the items to a new location. Then right-click and select “Block Copy” to place a copy. A left click will move the items instead.

Thanks alot for your response.

Im using Kicad 4.07

I try to mark a block with the left mouse button. But i cannot mark. Its immediately in the move fuction.
It moves the hole block.

Yes this is the expected behavior for kicad version 4.
While the selection moves with your mouse press the right mouse button and select copy block. You will notice that now the thing that moves with your mouse is a copy of the original.

It works!

Thanks alot,

Regards
Koe

Which is exactly what I said it would do. If only you had read the next sentence. :smirk:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.