Complex footprint creation

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hahaha, yes, I’m only asking for opinions here. Occasionally I need to design a footprint that will include more than one item. Today I’m working on the footprint for the Google Coral G650 SOM module. This includes 3 Hirose DF40 connectors and two Pem 1.4x3mm standoffs. Now of course I could just individually place all of the components on the board but then I run the risk of buggering up the position of all of the components relative to each other, not to mention it takes a lot of time to fiddle each part with 0.01mm precision. With a footprint that already includes all of the shapes in proper relationship to each other it’s a simple matter to just plunk one footprint on the board and everything is in the proper place, including height restrictions and keepouts. The trick is, with a single footprint, how do you folks flush out the bom with all the needed parts? I can think of a number of ways to do this but was wondering if there was any consensus on the best way to accomplish this.

-Jeff

Nod, the footprint’s BOM data is really a second level assembly but the components need to be at the same level as the rest of the components on the PCB assembly at least to create a proper BOM. Perhaps with the right MRP solution it’s possible to tie multiple components to a single symbol.

-Jeff

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.