Compiling KiCad for macos High Sierra

5.1.8 is working fine for me, so I have removed 5.1.7 from my computer. Please try 5.1.8, above links are working.
To compile again 5.1.7 will take me around 8hours and 25GB. :grimacing:

Ah, does this mean the source tree is expected to build on 10.14 now?

Nightly and 5.1.9 compiled for High Sierra on MacBook 7.1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)

kicad-unified-5.1.9-10.13.dmg.torrent (25.2 KB)
MD5 (kicad-unified-5.1.9-10.13.dmg) = 525d326f238e1ebad624ca3052546c3a

kicad-unified-20201225-123026-b998574a77.dmg.torrent (25.5 KB)
MD5 (kicad-unified-20201225-123026-b998574a77.dmg) = c60597e9bfb1f65dace3345f57610960

1 Like

Thank you so much for this. Please could you run your Torrent app so I can start the download? I’ll leave mine running in case anyone else needs this file…

Now downloaded - thanks again!

You are welcome ! Enjoy !

Thanks for making complied KiCad versions for High Sierra available; I’m successfully using your 5.1.7 version and am considering installing the 5.1.9 version. I’m quite happily running an old mid-2010 MacBook Pro with upgraded memory / new SSD but High Sierra is the end of the line for me as far as Apple OSX updates go. I’m thinking of installing Linux (dual boot?) but I’ve held back as some software packages I use are not available in Linux. Long way of saying that I really appreciate having KiCad updates compiled for High Sierra!

So, I installed 5.1.9 on my High Sierra machine and it runs, but is unable to load any of the library symbols. It says “file is not a valid component or symbol library file in input source…”

The files are all there and the permissions look correct.

Did I miss something?

Ah, I think I see the problem: the files in the Application Support/kicad/library folder in the 10.13 .dmg seem to be messed up. Each library appears as a single file with a “_sym” suffix, instead of two separate .dcm and .lib files.

I was able to fix this by installing the Application Support library from the MacOS 10.14 KiCAD .dmg instead.

Thank you for this observation. I have recompiled 5.1.9 package with correct options now. Also minimum OSX is 10.11, so hopefully more people may enjoy this great tool.

kicad-unified-5.1.9-10.11.dmg.torrent (25.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for recompiling.
Can you run your torrent app again, i’m at 52%.
I will reseed it!

I am seeding the last torrent 24/7

1 Like

@Tiberiu_Vicol
Thanks for making the .dmg available!

I am stuck with High Sierra as well (MacBookPro8,1, Early 2011, last OSX version is High Sierra)…

I did try to compile it myself, but after stumbling across a few problems I was able to fix myself (e.g. build.py not working with spaces in path, templates tag not availble for releases >5.1.7, …) I am stuck at a build problem I wasn’t able to fix myself…

tried building 5.1.7, 5.1.8 and 5.1.9 (each time with a fresh clone of kicad-mac-builder, empty build folder):

[ 31%] Performing build step for 'ngspice'
cd /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make
Making all in src
Making all in include/ngspice

[... removed a lot of lines for successful build steps in ngspice ...]

Making all in twod
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
  CCLD     libngspice.la
ld: can't open file, errno=24 file '.libs/libngspice.lax/libbsim3v32.a/b3v32cvtest.o' for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[5]: *** [libngspice.la] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [ngspice/src/ngspice-stamp/ngspice-build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/ngspice.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error while running make after rebuilding with a single job. Please report this issue if you cannot fix it after reading the README.
build.py argument summary:
build_type: Release
docs_tarball_url: https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/docs/kicad-doc-5.1.9.tar.gz
extra_version: None
footprints_ref: 5.1.9
jobs: 1
kicad_ref: 5.1.9
macos_min_version: 10.13
packages3d_ref: 5.1.9
release: True
release_name: 5.1.9-high-sierra
retry_failed_build: True
symbols_ref: 5.1.9
target: []
templates_ref: 5.1.7
translations_ref: 5.1.9
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./build.py", line 223, in <module>
    main()
  File "./build.py", line 219, in main
    build(parsed_args)
  File "./build.py", line 191, in build
    subprocess.check_call(make_command, env=dict(os.environ, PATH=new_path))
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 190, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['make', '-j1']' returned non-zero exit status 2

The ld command fails in “libngspice.la”, not finding file “.libs/libngspice.lax/libbsim3v32.a/b3v32cvtest.o”
What did I do wrong here?
From my understanding, this should come with the kiCAD source and be built when required - or am I missing something on my mac?
For building, I used the command posted by Tiberiu_Vicol with the changes to the release name as given by nickoe.
I installed al the required build tools with brew as given in the README.md of kicad-mac-builder for 10.12 - 10.14…

Any hints for me?

I have had this problem too. Try this - I have successfully built recent versions of 5.99 using this sequence.

./ci/src/bootstrap.sh

./build.py --target package-kicad-nightly

cd /Users/xxxxxx/Code/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice 
export PATH=/usr/local/opt/bison/bin:/usr/local/opt/gettext/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/.local/bin

sh autogen.sh

/usr/bin/make

I was getting some compilation errors in parse-bison.y and inpptree-parser.y which are simple to correct (should have submitted a bug report but think they were fixed the last time I tried this)

cd ../../../../

rm -rf build/kicad

./build.py --target package-kicad-nightly

Thanks John. Tried that but it doesn’t help for me…
The make command in the folder build/ngspice/src/ngspice stops with the same error I get when the build.py script tries to compile it…

[...]
Making all in twod
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
  CCLD     libngspice.la
ld: can't open file, errno=24 file '.libs/libngspice.lax/libbsim3v32.a/b3v32cvtest.o' for architecture x86_64
make[2]: *** [libngspice.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

the b3v32cvtest.o file is where it is expected to be - might have to do with the architecture it is compiled for…

$ pwd
/[...]/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice
$ find . -name b3v32cvtest.o
./src/.libs/libngspice.lax/libbsim3v32.a/b3v32cvtest.o
./src/spicelib/devices/bsim3v32/.libs/b3v32cvtest.o

Indeed, seems to be an architecture issue. I may suggest you to force your OSX in 64bit.
Boot in recovery, open terminal and type: nvram boot-args=”-no32exec”
Reboot.
Afther that run again ./ci/src/bootstrap.sh and ./build.py --target package-kicad-nightly from inside kicad-mac-builder directory.

To revert back to 32/64 bit mode go again to recovery mode and type: nvram boot-args=””
Hope this helps.

didn’t have the time for further testing for e few weeks…
but finally had another go at it this weekend.

Disabling 32bit apps did not help, unfortunately.
Started over with a clean clone of kicad-mac-builder, building the release 5.1.9 still stops with the same error:

make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
  CCLD     libngspice.la
make[5]: *** [libngspice.la] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [ngspice/src/ngspice-stamp/ngspice-build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/ngspice.dir/all] Error 2
Error while running make after rebuilding with a single job. Please report this issue if you cannot fix it after reading the README.
docs_tarball_url: https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/docs/kicad-doc-5.1.9.tar.gz
release_name: 5.1.9_10.3
    main()
    build(parsed_args)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 190, in check_call
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['make', '-j1']' returned non-zero exit status 2

And the same for the current nightly.

Then I checked the ngspice package itself:

$ cd build/ngspice/src/ngspice
$ make
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
  CCLD     libngspice.la
make[2]: *** [libngspice.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

But when I build ngspice according to its REAMDE, it does build successfully.

$ make distclean
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-x --with-readline=yes
$ make

Having successfully built ngspice, I went back to the kica-mac-builder and started over:

cd ../../../../
rm -rf build/kicad

and started build.py.

make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
cd /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice && /usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.19.2/bin/cmake -E touch /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice-stamp/ngspice-install
[ 25%] Completed 'ngspice'
/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.19.2/bin/cmake -E make_directory /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/CMakeFiles
/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.19.2/bin/cmake -E touch /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/CMakeFiles/ngspice-complete
/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.19.2/bin/cmake -E touch /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/ngspice/src/ngspice-stamp/ngspice-done
[ 30%] Built target ngspice
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make  -f CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/depend
cd /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build && /usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.19.2/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/kicad-mac-builder /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/kicad-mac-builder /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build /Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/DependInfo.cmake --color=
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make  -f CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/build
[ 31%] Performing build step for 'wxwidgets'

ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//Cocoa.framework/Cocoa.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//Cocoa.framework/Cocoa are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//OpenGL.framework/OpenGL.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//OpenGL.framework/OpenGL are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//Cocoa.framework/Cocoa.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//Cocoa.framework/Cocoa are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//OpenGL.framework/OpenGL.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//OpenGL.framework/OpenGL are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//WebKit.framework/WebKit.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//WebKit.framework/WebKit are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: can't open file, errno=24 file 'monodll_osx_cocoa_toolbar.o' for architecture x86_64
make[3]: *** [/Users/XXXXXX/kiCAD/kicad-mac-builder/build/wxwidgets/src/wxwidgets/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau-3.0.0.4.0.dylib] Error 1
make[2]: *** [wxwidgets/src/wxwidgets-stamp/wxwidgets-build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxwidgets.dir/all] Error 2
release_name: 5.1.9_10.3
    main()
    build(parsed_args)

The next library that is not built in 64bit…

ld: can't open file, errno=24 file 'monodll_osx_cocoa_toolbar.o' for architecture x86_64

but it has been built, the file is there:
$ find . -name monodll_osx_cocoa_toolbar.o
./build/wxwidgets/src/wxwidgets/monodll_osx_cocoa_toolbar.o

Apparently the config commands started by the kicad-mac-build scripts do not recognise the build environement on my mac correctly and the libraries are not built in 64bit.

For now I will revert back to 32/64 bit mode as this didn’t help. I do not have many 32 apps running, but I will stick with my beloved TextWrangler as long as I work with this mac…

In the meantime, I did the PCB I had to check and order with the last relase for my mac, 5.1.6.
Hence, the pressure and therefor the time i want to send on getting the build process running went down considerably…

I will still give it another try if someone has forther hints for me (apart from doing a fresh OSX install - the macbook would benefit from that definitely as the OS has only been updated and never reinstalled for 9 years now, but as everything else is working so smoothly, this wont happen soon)

Greetings Tiberiu; Thanks for doing this, I’ve not been able to get a compile to work
properly yet… and well, just tried to download the Torrent via Transmission, but
I get downloading 0 from 0 peers. Will you be hosting the file again anytime soon?
Thanks again; All the Very Best! Markus

Here we go again !
kicad-unified-5.1.9-10.11.dmg.torrent (25.1 KB)

Hi i am looking too this kicad on high sierra. Thanks much in advance. I can be in return sometimes seeding.

My DaveCAD version is too low me to handle it well enough.