Combining 2 schematics into one?

Hi,
I am a newby user. I have been creating schematics for two separate circuits. I did this in two separate projects. Now, I want to combine them into one project, with two sheets of schematics. This will be a simple, flat design … no hierarchical blocks.
Is there a trick to this to avoid problems?

How do I add flat sheets?
I imagine I can then just copy/paste the schematics into the two new sheets.
Thx

Is there a trick to this to avoid problems?

Yes. Combining shematics works always flawlessly if you first drink some beer (the more beer the better).

How do I add flat sheets?

Create a new project. In the rootsheet add two subsheets. Make sure they point to different schematic-files. Thats it. Put everything you want into the subsheets.
Connecting the electronics from subsheet to subsheet works with power ports or with global labels.
Look into the original kicad-exampe “flat_hierarchy” (in the kicad-manager: File–>open example).

I imagine I can then just copy/paste the schematics into the two new sheets.

Yes, should work. After pasting all schematics be sure to run a final “annotation”-command.

I see a function on the sidebar for adding a hierarchical sheet. Is that what I use?

Also, I see “File → Insert Schematic Sheet Content”. How is that used?

Still a bit confused.

I see a function on the sidebar for adding a hierarchical sheet. Is that what I use?

Yes. see picture. Click icon, draw sheet-rectangle, than opens the Sheet-poperties dialog.
Sheet name: any string you like
Sheet File: This is the filename of the new generated (added) subsheet.

Now draw/insert your second subsheet: give it a different Sheet Name and different Filename.

If you have two subsheets placed into your rootsheet:

• doubleclick the subsheet-rectangle and this subsheet opens.
  • Now open another kicad-instance with your older (already finished) schematics. Open that schematic. CTRL-A and CTRL-C (to select all and copy all).
  • back to the new subsheet: CTRL-V to paste the complete shematic content

Also, I see “File → Insert Schematic Sheet Content”. How is that used?

Don’t know. Never used. Maybe some user can help.

Still a bit confused.

Just play around. If you do it on a “test-project” normally nothing bad can happen.

icon_hierarchical_sheet

Thanks a bunch. I will play around a bit. Worst case, I delete it and start all over. : )

KiCad does not really support a “flat” multi sheet design.

The simplest way to mimic it is to add a single “hierarchical sheet” on the main sheet and have it point to the other page, and then just use global labels for all connections.
You have to add the hierarchical sheet, but it can be very small and unobstrusive. You can even place it outside the borders of the main sheet. It you do this it will not get printed on paper during printing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.