Column widths in Symbol Field Editor

Hello,

Is there any way to set default column widths in the Eeschema Symbol Fields Editor? I. Every time I re-launch the Symbol Fields Editor, spend a huge amount of time setting them so that I can see all columns at once.

Also. is there any way to be able to edit the schematic while the Symbol Fields Editor is open? Then I wouldn’t need to re-launch it all the time. Of course, I would also need to be able to regenerate its contents while it is open.

Best regards,

Peter

Column widths are calulated on the fly each time the form is called. There is a hardcoded limitation during startup of that form for columns not to be wider than 1/3 of the dialog width, which, once the form is open can be changed.

int maxWidth = defaultDlgSize.x / 3;

Components can be edited inside the form and will update when the form closes.

1 Like

As an alternative, I would like to have a “Maximise” button on most dialog popups. Also for opening / saving files. The windows go away as soon as you click on [OK], [Save], [Cancel], etc anyway, so there is no real reason to be fiddlig in a small window when all that area around it is doing nothing.

1 Like

I disagree. As I am filling in the spreadsheet for the for the circuit, I want to be able to see the circuit. Further, I also have a distributor’s on-line catalog open so that I can make selection decisions, get part numbers, footprints, etc. And finally, most of my designs are hierarchical and so have multiple pages. If the circuit has multiple pages, that is a problem. The spreadsheet cannot be sorted by page and so to to update all the capacitors, for instance, I have to close out the Symbol Fields Editor to be able to see another page. And then, when I re-open it, all the columns are back to being too wide to see all columns.

I have a lot of columns because the PCBNA houses that I use want to have references, footprints, quantities, comments, manufacturers, MPNs, distributors and distributors’ part numbers in the BoM at a minimum.

So this is a real problem for serious development work. Please tell me how I can change the default width of each of the columns.

Best regards,

Peter

File a bug report. This sounds like a problem which is so small it hasn’t bothered others yet, but it’s still a usability bug (happens in other software, too, and is annoying when it happens and you happen to need it often).

1 Like

Does the symbol field editor not behave the same way as cvpcb in this regard? That tool automatically moves the view to the place of symbol definition when you select it in the table.

I agree this is undesirable behaviour. The current strategy may be a reasonable initial guess as to appropriate column widths, however when column widths have been adjusted this new width should persist and the column widths should not change randomly. If you make a bug report I would certainly add that this affects me too.

1 Like

Rene, It does highlight the symbol automatically and it is a very nice feature. However, many times I have run into the problem that that feature is not enough, for instance when the circuit in question is driven, or drives, circuits on another page. I think that having columns with adjustable, persistent widths would mimic other spreadsheets and would mean that this editor could be configured to better match the user’s preferences, work style and project.

I see this as a bug, actually. How do I raise a big report?

Best regards,

Peter

1 Like

To file a bug report you need an account on launchpad - the developer platform (although you don’t have to be a developer to open one).
I agree that this feature could be improved so I have made a bug report - although I am not sure how high up the pecking order it will come tbh…

1 Like

Thanks, John.

Best regards,
Peter

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.