Colors in 3D models

Hello,
When I add .step files to KicCAD I can’t see the different colors in the model. For example if the models main color is blue, the entire model show up blue. While models are seperated 3D parts mostly, I have tryed to combine all the parts and save it as one part as .step file (Solidworks) the problem stayed the same. This problem occurs the same when I download it from 3d model websites.

As far as I know there is a 2. way to import models with .wrl files, and surprisingly it shows this time the different colors in a model, but when I add it to the footprint, it is invisible?? I zoomed out if the model is uploaded at some corner or somewhere, which wasnt the issue.

Does anyone know how to fix?
(KiCAD latest version, solidworks 2019, haven’t tryed freecad yet)

Use FreeCad and the @maui Step Up workbench. This will deal with your colour matching problems and adds a whole lot more functionality between KiCad and FreeCad.

1 Like

Thank you this helped, but for those who are having the same problem: I had to install only the kicad stepup workbench. Now I dont need to use freecad anymore, all .step files and .wrl files can be added without any problem.

Is this a joke I did not understand ? :slight_smile:
StepUp is the workbench for FreeCAD. If you don’t use FreeCAD having StepUp installed should have no effect on anything.

When I started to try to define 3D models using FreeCAD the only problem I had was with colors. The problem is smaller if you design 3D as Part (using Part WB) as you can set separate colors for anything you add and according to my experience there is a chance (not sure) colors will not be lost when exporting model to KiCad. The problem is bigger if you design 3D as Body (using Part Design WB) as you only can set separate colors to surfaces and when exporting to KiCad you have 100% that they disappear.
I was told here that before exporting you should use the “Make a Union of selected objects” or “Make a Compound of selected objects” (both functions in KiCadStepUp). I don’t understand why but it works.
I did terminal block model (2…10 screws) by designing the one screw segment (containing plastic and metal) and then copying it. The only way (using Part Design WB) I found to preserve colors why copying that segment was to design that segment as Part containing 2 Bodies (each Body had its own color). Of course before exporting I had each time call “Make a Union…” or “Make a Compound…”. Don’t remember which one (or both) worked for me.

Well after the installation of the workbench which you of course only can do after downloading freecad, It was like magic. I feel like KiCAD only needs to connect with a 3D model software in order to understand the colors on the surfaces. Right now I’m using other softwares, Im not ‘making’ a union of the selected objects before I export it, and I can simply color any surface of a 3D body without painting the whole part before (which every youtube tutorial tells to do). There was a small misunderstanding, can’t blame you :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.