Coating problem Led pcb

Hello, how to make a LED heat sink in
radiator-pcb-power-led
the program

Simplest is probably to draw in another program and import.
When I needed PCB shape having 14 arcs I drew it in LibreCAD.

The easiest way to do this is with FreeCad. Scan the heat sink, trace it and then insert it as EdgeCuts in the circuit board editor.

Alternatively, you can do it straight away in the circuit board editor, which is a lot more difficult.

We continue with the line tol.

2 Likes

Sorry for my English but we didn’t understand each other. I don’t mean the shape, but the coating visible in the photo - they say that the radiator dissipates the heat

Perhaps you need an aluminium PCB? It usually comes as a single layer - copper on the top and thick aluminium base at the bottom (which works as a heatsink).

How to make an aluminum coating

You don’t make it. You choose that type of PCB from your board manufacturer.

There is obviously a language problem here, and combined with short questions it is difficult to guess what is going on here.

If this is the (partial) answer to the question.

Then have a look at IMS = Insulated Metal Substrate.

@Szybki946, While drinking morning coffee and amusing myself…

At Amazon, I searched LED Heatsink and found the item (took reference screenshot to use for modeling).

I modeled a similar shape in FreeCAD - did not go any further except for exporting as STEP file then, created/exported DXF. Then, loaded the DXF into Kicad PCB (not needed if you make a Footprint).

I made a Footprint (not shown) and loaded DXF the same way and added the STEP file for the 3D-View.

No details of Solder-Pads, real-geometry or other aspects - just enough to show basics of doing it. (Added radius’d top-surface as afterthought)

I assume you’re not intending to make one - and will buy them (they’re low-cost) and you just want a graphic/electrical representation of it to add SMD-LED’s to it.

(NOTE - Re: Video: I use custom Key-Strokes and Icons in FreeCAD so, I forget where the stock buttons/clicks are - it took me a few clicks to remember where to click…)

2 Likes

Ahh, I always learn new things from your videos. Had not successfully used External-Geometry until now following your steps, and the Polar-Pattern is also really handy. thx

1 Like

@teletypeguy, This has little to do with Kicad except when using FreeCAD as needed but, may be worth knowing for some occasions…

Using Geometry from a different Part’s Body:
You can imagine how it could be used when making a Kicad Footprint and DXF for Kicad project’s

I selected the Top surface’s edges so it would be clear there are two resulting Parts (otherwise, could have selected bottom edges and extruded in different direction for clarity…) You get the idea…

Hah. Shapebinder is new to me as well. Had a bit of trouble as I had the shapebinder just inside a part. Then I put a body in the part and moved the shapebinder into the body and figured it out. Thx for expanding my toolkit!

1 Like

I think we need much more information “how to make aluminium coating” means nothing in the context of PCB CAD software. Kicad is used to design Printed Circuit Boards that are mostly made from fiberglass although the can be made from aluminium. I don’t see a ‘coating’ in your photo the word ‘coating’ describes something you apply like paint, I don’t believe your talking about oxides so you need to explain to us what you mean by ‘coating’ then perhaps we can help :slightly_smiling_face:
:mouse:

Not sure how this relates but will post it anyway…

1 Like

I suspect OP is suffering from multiple issues, first the language barrier, second a misconception about what the object in the photo is, and mostly the X-Y problem, where it would be better to say what they actually want without constraining the answer. It may not have anything to do with PCB design.

Would you like start again with better description of your problem, OP?

4 Likes

I suspect a novice hobbyist with NO clue as to what is involved here. You look at existing designs of things and think you can do it better and save a few bucks. Better for your purpose? Maybe. Save a few bucks? Not the reality. :wink:

Indeed. These are sort of standardized heat spreaders, and a quick search shows you can buy these for 5ct each (100+) from Ali / Ebay / China.