.cmp file in Kicad not found

Hello,

Recently I downloaded and installed latest version of Kicad. I downloaded a project , modified schematics , performed ERC , ran CVpCB to associate components and saved edits and project. Things work fine , but no cmp file is created in project folder. If I already create a .cmp manually in folder, it is not updated. Any idea why this happen?

With regards
Shalini

Since KiCad 4.0, the .cmp file is not used anymore.
The footprint information is now stored in the schematics directly.
By the way, you can now choose the footprints from the schematics in the part properties, CvPcb is optionnal.

What instructions are you following?
Are you trying to solve a specific problem?

Hello,

Thank you for reply. I am follwing 'Getting started Kicad 'manual in documentation link in Kicad website,.I am using CvPcb.

Can you please make it clear ‘you can now choose the footprints from the schematics in the part properties’. I selected the part in schematic, right click -> edit component -> edit component with library editor. New window pops up.I clicked Edit component properties->Footprint filter. But I cant select footprint there.Please explain how to select footprint without cvpcb.

With Regards

Shalini

Point your cursor over any schematic symbol, press E key. The “Component Properties” dialog window will open. Select Footprtint field from available list of fields. On the right the Assign footprints button will appear. Click on it. In “Library Browser” select library and double click on desired footprint.

If any symbol has a visible footprint filed, you can also double click on the text. In text properties you could find Select button.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining