Closing EEschema closes Kicad (Kicad 6)

Is this the expected behavior?

It is kind of annoying because I don’t understand those new icons. And I want to be fast-changing things. Then to open the Symbols editor and Footprint Editor I close EEschema to select another thing to do but it closes the main window.

Not expected. Are you sure it closes and not crashes? If you are on linux you can run from terminal and you’ll see a segfault or something if it crashes.

Yeah, I am on linux.

I’ve noticed the general behavior is a bit slow. Especially when closing EEschema and the Main window. I am always launching it from the terminal. So, for a couple of hours that I’ve been working on it, it has not crashed or seg-faulted yet. But still, it is a bit slow.

by the way. here is the version of it

Application: KiCad PCB Editor

Version: 6.0.0-d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu21.10.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.5
	libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.1 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.13.0-22-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, gnome, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Dec 23 2021 14:23:46
	wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.74.0
	ngspice: 35
	Compiler: GCC 11.2.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hey @qu1ck just because you asked, the segfault has happened.

Here is the log I could generate with valgrind. Not sure if I could reproduce the issue. The last output was not that good. Now I had to kill it to exit.

segfault.log (213.4 KB)

The previews issue has something to do with the DRC or ERC I guess…

There are a bunch of plugins that have bugs preventing kicad from exiting correctly. That may be why you had to kill it.

Crash should be reported to devs on gitlab, especially if you can provide a reproduction steps and/or project it fails on.

Unfortunately I could not reproduce it. I habe a clean install too since I have to purge it may times including user’s files. I will keep an eye open, I see or know how to reproduce something I will definitely report it there on gitlab.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.