Clickable Text on Main Kicad window

Hopefully a simple request…

It would be nice to be able to click on the description text instead of the icon “button” on the main page. E.g. Being able to click on the words “Footprint Editor - Edit global and/or project PCB footprint libraries” in addition to the icon.

Thanks!

The request is simple and understandable.
The implementation is not.

Your request was the default behavior of the “new” project manager, and people started complaining that they could not click on the window to bring it to the foreground by clicking on it without starting one of the KiCad sub programs. This resulted in a issue on gitlab and it was changed to the current behavior.

I have a different but related issue.
I do not find the text very useful at all, and have made the window narrower and put it on the right side of my monitor hundredths of times

KiCad normally does remember the size of this window and it’s location, but if you make it that small, then it reverts to the very big “default” with all the text visible upon a restart of KiCad. sigh.

@DelugeIA : as paul said the “big clickable” solution was already implemented and got reverted. There are advocates for both options, but only one can get implemented. If you want you could read the gitlab-discussions (for background-information) on that topic:
first for clickable: Main app button should be clickable on all their length (#7981) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
and for non-clickable: Request: Main app launcher icon valid click area (#7946) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

@paulvdh : KiCad normally does remember the size of this window and it’s location, but if you make it that small, then it reverts to the very big “default” with all the text visible upon a restart of KiCad

Just tested on my v7-installation and seems to work fine. If I recall correctly you are working on a linux-system? So maybe a OS-specific bug.
picture from smallest possible kicad-manager window. If kicad is completely closed and restarted this exactly size and position is restored. (system parameters: kicad v7 on Win10, 1920x1080 resolution, 125% desktop size).

1 Like

@mf_ibfeew
Thanks for testing this. It encouraged me to make a bug report for it and halfway through creating the bug report I tried it again and now it suddenly works for me too. So now I’m confused and canceled the bug report for now.

For whatever it is worth, I’ve also had inconsistent “forgetting” about the project manager window sizing on MacOS 13. I regularly have to shrink the window size down to only show buttons and files, but it springs back to the full size again on a random future start up. I’m tentatively suspicious that it occurs immediately after crashes, but I’m not sure about that.

I’ve not been able to nail down what’s going on well enough to write an issue, but curious that other people are seeing it too.

1 Like

Yes, i have two different flavors of Ubuntu 22.10 on my machine, on one is showing this behavior (plus a bunch of small problems related to the ‘project manager’) on 7.99 and not on 7.1; the other is fine.
So i suspect is somewhat related to the ‘window manager’ or system related stuff.

I too am trying to make sense of it to open a issue, but up to now i cannot wrap my mind around it…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.