Click CvPCB runs annotate schematic

Hi,

When I click the CvPCB button (tool tip shows it), it brings up the annotate schematic.

When I click Tools -> Assign Component Foot print, it brings up the annotate schematic.
When I click Tools -> Annotate schematic, it brings up the annotate schematic.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Kicad 4.0.2-stable
Windows 10

Kind Regards

Is your schematic already fully annotated? If not, this is normal behavior.
To proceed CvPcb and netlist generation schematic must be fully annotated.

If you’re not sure, try to perform ERC. When the schematic has not annotated symbols you get an error message:

Item not annotated: <name>

Annotation required!
2 Likes

Yes that was it, thank you!
I didnt realise you had to have it fully annotated before using i (makes sense now).
I just wanted to assign some new foot prints I made, and thought it was a bug because I just updated to 4.0.2.
Kind regards

I recently spent time puzzling over that behavior. Yes, looking back it DOES make sense. But looking at it from the perspective of User Interface ergonomics there is a case for displaying some kind of explanation of why “Eeschema” decided to execute “Annotate”, when the user asked for something else (“CvPCB”).

Dale

And it does:

1 Like

No, that message only adds to the confusion. The user tried to run " CvPCB ". Instead, KiCAD sends him to " Annotate ", and puts up a message about Exporting the Netlist! To be helpful the message should say something like "You must completely annotate the schematic before running CvPCB ".

Dale