[SOLVED] Clearance of copper zone for BGA

I have a copper zone inside a BGA, but it shows a clearance of about 0.12mm:

The zone clearance is already 0 and the board setup should also allow it, but being a new user I cannot post images of that (only 1 image allowed).

What can I do to get a zero clearance?

1 Like

Hi, welcome at this forum.
It is not very clear to me what you want to achieve. I assume your English is not very good and you’re struggling with translating or translating software.

If you want to connect the copper zone with one (or more) of the pads, then you have to edit the properties of the copper zone, and enter a name of a net that it has to connect to.

If you want something else, then try to explain it more clearly.

Thanks for your quick reply paulvdh!

The problem is the clearance around the vias, pads and tracks. I would like the copper to go right up to these, like I have partially manually added here:

I know nothing is connected, I am just reproducing the issue in an otherwise empty project. But the problem is from a real project.

1 Like

These are the settings for the copper zone:

1 Like

And these are the board settings:

1 Like

OK, so it looks like you found the right menu’s for the settings.

What happens if you press on the b key? It is a shortcut for: PCB Editor / Edit / Fill all Zones. The inner boundaries of zones are not always calculated automatically (It is a user setting).

Another thing you can do is: PCB Editor / File / Board Setup / Design Rules / Net Classes and then change the clearance for the Default Netclass.

Also, in your screenshot of the Copper Zone Properties I do not see any nets listed, which means there is no netlist. KiCad does not work well without first drawing a schematic, and then porting the netlist and the footprints to the PCB Editor. Even if it is just “something simple” then you still need to draw the schematic first (and that is then probably also easy, maybe just two connectors connected to each other).

What happens if you turn of the Hide auto-generated net names checkbox?

Do you have any sort of schematic and netlist?

There is also the netclass clearance setting (Board setup–>Design Rules–>Netclasses). A zone with “no net” belongs to the default netclass. So these values must also be changed.

Regarding the “attach only one image” topic: Read New Member Information and follow the instructions to promote yourself to basic user. With that user level you are allowed to attach multiple pictures, and also to attach a complete kicad project (use kicad main manager–>File–>Archive project to get a zipped project which contains most necessary files)

Select the zone. Select one of the vias. Chose “Clearance Resolution…” from the “Inspect” menu.

This will tell you where the clearance is coming from.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help, what a fantastic community!

The “Clearance Resolution” from the “Inspect” menu solved it. And yes, it was the Default net class so trying this without net classes indeed was not a good idea… all great feedback!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.