Clarification on BOM plugins

Not long ago (in this forum), I was advised to use the BOM plugins from eeschema’s menu; specifically, I was pointed to bom_csv_grouped_by_value.

It would seem like it doesn’t just group by value — it seems to group by the pair (value, footprint); for my schematic with which I tested, it certainly created two separate lines for components that all have value 0.1uF — one line for those that are 0402, one line for the 0603s.

Strangely enough, there is another plugin called bom_csv_grouped_by_value_with_footprint that actually does not generate a CSV, but an XML. What’s up with that?

Am I misinterpreting something? Am I correct in observing that neither of these two plugins do what their name indicates they should do? Lastly: for the bom_csv_grouped_by_value: does it actually do (as in, specified/guaranteed to do) what I’m seeing it does (group by value+footprint)? Or is it some glitch or some case of “worked like that due to some coincidence”??

[[ EDIT: forgot to mention — using KiCAD 5.0.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 ]]

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.