Circular track creation

Hello,
I would like to trace a quarter round track with kicad 5, I can’t, is there a solution?
I can’t find anything, help me

Curved tracks have been historically problematic in KiCad.

The simple answer is that it’s just not supported in KiCad V5.
There are some complicated workarounds, you can for example use graphic arcs and place them on a copper layer.

This is a good thread to read for such things:
It’s about a flex PCB to be mounted in a camera lens, and it needs lots of curved tracks. I tried to help finding workarounds back then.

The issue is being worked on actively though.
KiCad-nightly V5.99 has several different ways to add curves to copper tracks. At the moment there are probably changes made to that code daily or weekly. It’s probably one of the reasons that KiCad V6 is delayed.

2 Likes

I was tinkering with a circular design a while back and something was nagging at the back of my mind when reading this.

Drawing the circle and moving it to a copper layers is very easy. However, KiCad does not recognise it as a net/trace and does not consider it a connection. However, it should be manufacturable even if the design will not pass KiCad DRC.

Try kicad-RF-tools action scripts

I traced a Fsilk circle arc, Fcu layer change, problem kicad does not recognize the connection, can we modify?

Nope not really in KiCad V5.1.x.

It is exactly the limitation both Sprig and I wrote earlier. You can force graphics onto a copper layer, but KiCad does not recognize it as copper tracks.

For now, the solution to this is to use KiCad-nightly V5.99 or wait patiently until KiCad V6 is released.

RF tools handles “curved” tracks for kv5

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.