Circular edge cut not printing

Hi all,

I created a circular PCB and edge cut as a single circle.
Now I exported it to Gerber, and my manufacturer complained they can’t see the board outline. This may be related to this issue: Problems with generating circular board outline gerber but there is more to this, that I think is to blame on KiCAD.
When opening the edge cut file in the KiCAD Gerber viewer, I can see the board outline just fine.
When printing it, looking at the print preview, I can still see it.
When sending it to the printer, nothing gets printed.
When exporting as pdf, I only get a tiny dot, the circle itself is missing.

How to get this circular outline to print out and work properly, if only in KiCAD?
I’m going to try to “fix” it by using four arcs now…

I tried the same thing with v4.0.6 (Win7, 64) without problems. What version are you using?

Some fab houses do have problems with circles, replacing with arcs will be ok.

2 Likes

Avoid full circles with low cost fabs. Use two semicircles. They often use buggy CAM software

Both quick replies ignored the second part of the issue, which appears to be a KiCAD bug:

Note that this part is also solved by using four quarter circles. Now the gerber can be printed. As a circle, it just doesn’t print the edge cut. So not only low cost fabs have this issue; KiCAD also has a problem with circles for board outline!

Nope, I tried EVERY item on your list, they all worked. If you asking for help, please consider what you are saying before dismissing “quick replies”. No one here is obliged to help you.

Plus, you ignored my question.

3 Likes

This forum is not the official bug reporting channel, which is on Launchpad.
On 4.0.6 Windows 64, I can print circular outlines on the Edge.Cuts layer and also plot them to PDF.

The first critical part of any bug report is defining which version of KiCad you are using, from Help - About KiCad

2 Likes

I also have a circular board outline and was trying to create PDF for board documentation. My plan was to “print” a PDF for the front of the board with copper, silk and edge-cuts (“all layers on a single page”), do similar for the back but mirrored, and then combine the PDFs in a second step. I’m using KiCad v5.1.4 on Win64. Using File/Print and selecting front copper, front silk and edge-cuts, and printing using Microsoft Print to PDF, the resulting PDF does not include the edge-cuts layer. Does anyone have a solution?

I will try breaking the circle into four semi-circles, but this would be a poor work-around. The “Plot” function isn’t useful in this case because it doesn’t merge selected layers onto a single page the way Print does.

works for me (5.1.4, Ubuntu)

1 Like

I didn’t do it in V5 yet, but at 4.0.7 level I decided that I will be using Export to SVG. I have checked that I can put SVGs into our LibreOffice documentation of product. At V5 introduction I reported few bugs in exporting SVG and now I believe that it works enough good for me (will check soon).

2 Likes

Thanks @halachal and @Piotr for your comments and suggestions.

I replaced the 3.75" dia circle I used initially on Edge.Cuts with four arcs and now “Print” has been working correctly.

Hello,

currentyl using v5.1.4 an the following board prints perfectly fine

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.4)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF