Just for kicks I asked ChatGPT what features it thought should be developed for KiCad in future and here is the result. I think the answer is quite general but one could be fooled into thinking that a human wrote the reply.
What features do you think should be added to KiCad in future versions?
There are a number of features that users of KiCad might like to see added in future versions. Here are a few ideas:
- Improved 3D visualization and rendering capabilities: This could include support for more realistic materials and lighting, as well as the ability to import and export 3D models in a variety of formats.
- Enhanced constraint solver: A more powerful constraint solver would allow users to easily specify complex design rules and constraints, and would make it easier to achieve precise placements and alignments of components.
- Improved schematic and layout editing tools: Additional tools for editing and manipulating schematics and layouts could make it easier for users to create and modify their designs.
- Enhanced support for collaborative design: Features such as version control, collaboration tools, and support for distributed design teams could make it easier for teams to work on KiCad projects together.
- Enhanced integration with other tools and platforms: Improved integration with other tools and platforms, such as simulation and prototyping tools, could make it easier for users to take their designs from concept to reality.
- Improved support for high-speed design: Features specifically designed for high-speed design, such as improved signal integrity analysis and simulation tools, could make it easier for users to create and verify high-speed designs.
- Enhanced support for FPGA design: Improved support for FPGA design, including tools for synthesizing designs and generating bitstreams, could make KiCad a more attractive option for FPGA designers.
These are just a few ideas, and the actual features that are added to future versions of KiCad will depend on the priorities and goals of the development team.