Changing the grid size in footprint Library Browser?

I use:

Application: pcbnew
Version: (2017-11-13 revision d98fc85)-master, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.2
    libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.54.0
    Curl: 7.35.0
    Compiler: GCC 4.8.4 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=OFF

Often times, a footprint Library Browser pops up as a tool (for instance, when trying to set a footprint of a schematic symbol), which looks like this:

Apparently, the browser on the right is derived from Pcbnew, since you can to stuff like hit space to reset dx/dy, and then move the cursor around to measure. However, the grid seems to be set at 2.54 mm, which is way too big for me to measure the size of a part like the one pictured.

So is there a way to change the grid size specifically in the Library Browser, so I could roughly measure part sizes there (without having to insert parts into Pcbnew, where I’d have access to properly changing the grid size)?

If you right-click in the footprint window, the context menu has a grid size option.

Sorry that only works in legacy canvas! But the new canvas has all the same features as legacy, we are told :confounded:

1 Like

Many thanks, @bobc :

Actually, this works fine: I had been in OpenGL mode previously in Pcbnew (which was closed down), so when I opened EEschema, and tried to look for a footprint for a schematic symbol - which opens the Library Browser, when I right-clicked, there was nothing.

But then I closed everything down, opened Pcbnew, changed to Legacy mode, closed Pcbnew (didn’t even save the file or anything), opened EEschema, raised footprint Library Browser - and yes, there is now a right-click menu there with Grid Select - here I can set a smaller grid (pitch). NIce!

Then, if you change back to OpenGL, the grid setting for the footprint Library Browser from previously is remembered - also nice!

Guess that solves it for me for the time being…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.