CentOS compatibility

As CERN has adopted CentOS and CERN now supplies development resources to KiCad, how soon can we expect a simple, smooth uncomplicated KiCad installation on CentOS Linux?

Which version CentOS? Old versions such as 5 and 6 are problematic because the libraries are usually too old, because CentOS prioritises stability over up to date libraries. There the only solution may be to use a snap pack or similar or virtual machine. I don’t know about 7 and beyond, I left the workforce before I had to deal much with those releases.

Remember that CentOS is primarily a server distro, so desktop apps are not as well supported. That said, I once maintained CentOS desktop machines for a company running Cadence and related software because RHEL was what the suite was certified for.

1 Like

I’m afraid you mistook CERN’s use of CentOS with CERN’s involvement in KiCad. One has nothing to do with the other. CERN KiCad devs use Ubuntu, Arch, Windows and occasionally OSX :slight_smile:

Tom

I’d recommend to use Fedora. It’s very similar to CentOS (just a little bit more modern) and supports KiCad quite well. (There are some minor limitations when running with Wayland, though)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.