CentOS 8 Support

I have been looking for an alternate for gEDA PCB and wanted to try out KiCad on CentOS 8. The only post that I could find on this did not allow me to install everything needed and now the post is closed. Is there a working build that anyone can help me install so that I can test out this on my system?

Could you please tell what you have found out this far. What do you mean by “did not allow to install everything needed”?

Basically this is RHEL and really focused on being a rock solid server performer. I’d be surprised if there is much effort into supporting a lot of the things a CAD program relies on. It was released 3 years ago already. That’s ancient in relation to the current version of Kicad and the software it depends on. Your system should do well at VM’s which might be your best bet.

1 Like

As mentioned you should explain how you are trying to get KiCad on your system, and what you think was missing.

Also because RHEL is a server distro advanced libraries for GUI apps are probably not in the official repos, but sometimes they are availalble from community repos like EPEL. But without any other info, it’s hard to suggest a feasible course of action, if one exists.

I am using Kicad 5.99 on CentOS 8 for half a year already
And instructions are as simple as that:

1. checkout latest version from git
  2. install all required libraries
  3. cmake . ; make ; sudo make install
  4. enjoy
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.