Center & Warp cursor on zoom is not working

I opened this bug a few weeks ago. Apparently the developer cannot reproduce it (so far as I know) so nothing has happened as a result of my bug report. For me it has persisted 100% (always consistent) in spite of several nightly updates:

It is also a consistent minor annoyance and time waster. Why is it that I see this bug always all the time but the developer does not see it at all? What can I try which might help figure this out? Does anyone have any ideas?

‘’’
Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-884-g39c2c4e13), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Build date: Feb 18 2020 21:59:53
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON
‘’’

Have you tried closing Kicad, making a back up of your settings and then deleting the originals? Kicad should regenerate a new set and then you can see if the problem persists. I’ve had preferences get corrupted in other programs and this is usually the quickest solution. You can compare your old prefs with the new ones. I notice that, at last, Kicad now keeps separate preferences for each version - so there should be a separate directory for your 5.99 preferences.

Have you tried with a different mouse?

Thanks Where do I find these settings; is there a simple method to do this?

I have tried the laptop touchpad; that works the same. The only other mouse I have is a keyboard with a built-in trackball that barely works (probably dirty). But this also seems to provide same result. I did unplug my usual Logitech trackball when testing this just to rule it out.

Try here

1 Like

Thanks a lot. This is good… I zipped a copy and then deleted those settings. My schematic has partially disintegrated as a result, and I had to look up the default hot key for zooming in at cursor…Maybe that is the issue as I had set + as zoom, and I do not remember seeing two different zoom options in 5.15?

Anyway using the F1 & F2 keys it does seem to center and warp properly. So I will restore my original settings and look more closely at the hotkey.

After restoring my settings…OK…yes! I bet there has been a change in the hotkey zoom functions. I guess that my + and - hotkeys no longer include warping and centering the cursor, while F1 and F2 do. So that would mean that these checkbox options do not work as presented? I guess they are now replaced by “Zoom in/out at cursor”?

It would be great to see some confirmation on this…

This is a partial view of hotkeys list now:

Thanks again.

One more update: I just installed the latest nightly; this situation seems to be unchanged.

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-1014-gaa95ff10d), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    Build date: Mar  1 2020 21:58:32
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.