Capacitors_SMD:C_1206 vs Capacitors_SMD:C_1206_3216Matric

I have a BOM from another project.I have to use the same footprints for Capacitors and Resistors as in that BOM. In that BOM C and R are assigned SMD:C_1206 while in my KiCad version 5.1.2 i have SMD:C_1206_3216Matric packages.(Cant find SMD:C_1206 without _3216Matric package). Is there any difference between these packages or it might be due to different kicad versions.

It is the same. 1206 is on inch scale and 3216 is the same size in millimeters.

1 Like

Well, not quite. 3216 is slightly larger. 32/16 versus 30.48/15.24

(The current Library footprint is named “C_1206_3216Metric”)

The two footprints are probably very similar. Over the last two years or so the KiCAD libraries have experienced extensive maintenance activity, mostly directed at standardizing the footprints’ syntax, content, and appearance. Among other actions, layer usage was standardized, courtyards were made more uniform, and a new naming convention was imposed.

To truly answer your question you should open the two footprints in the Footprint Editor and compare them. (I believe it is possible to start one instance of the Footprint Editor from within the KiCAD Project Manager, and a second instance as a stand-alone program from your OS’s “Program Mangler”. This will allow you to visually compare the two footprints side-by-side.) Based on your instructions to “use the same footprints”, you can decide whether any differences are significant, minor, or irrelevant.

Dale

2 Likes

Really? I know both sizes only as a synonym. I even found parts to order in 1206 and the datasheet reads 3216. Afiak this is only rounding error. I can’t imagine they produce two sizes that differ only by 5% or so.

The new footprints are ipc compliant. The old ones were designed to maximise the amount of traces that could fit below the part,

Additional remark: These packages are specified in metric with imperial being kept around for legazy reasons (as far as I am aware from reading ipc and jedec standards. Backed up by most manufacturer datasheets that nowadays have imperial as the secondary measurement. Even US based companies like TI already switched over. And yes I know thy do not make passives but I am not aware of a US based passives supplier.).
This means a 1206 (3216 metric) part is nominal 3.2mm by 1.6mm. (The closest metric value to the original imperial specification.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.