Capacitive touch sensor design

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hi everyone, I am trying to design a capacitive touch sensor previously made for another project. The image attached is how it looks in the application notes and I’m unsure about what material (copper) etc. is used where. Like what would the coupling pad and the touch pad be in kicad? Thanks a lot for your help!

There is no image attached to your post …

image_2023-07-19_102946651

These touch sensors can be made form anything (slightly) conductive. From copper on a PCB to printable carbon containing compound or maybe even a banana.

The design looks dubious though. In general you want to have more open area between the electrodes. This will make the paracitic capacitance smaller, and thus a greater variance when it’s actually sensing anything. Do some research into how to design a proper capacitive sensor.

Also, are you aware that KiCad’s footprint editor has a build in (python) script for generating touch sliders? You can use it, or use it as an example to start from and modify to create your own.

You might look at this post (see my posted info)

Additional screenshots

Thanks, sorry for the newbie question. I can’t manage to find this python script for generating touch sliders you speak of. How would one find it? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I’m a bit confused, are those then just two copper lines used for the capacitive touch?

They are Two separate sets of lines. But, they can be used for either Capacitive Touch or Skin-Contact (circuit) closure. Either or Both at same time with different coding.

If you look closely at the Image in the Link I posted, Lower-Left corner shows the Copper covered by a piece of Acrylic Plastic; thus, no Skin-contact closure, Only Capacitance field activates the switch… Different ways to Wire-up things like this… Just need One or more contact points and a GND…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.