Can't run kicad in Ubuntu 15.04

Every six months or so, I try again to install and run kicad; to date not successful. Currently,
Ubuntu 15.04 64 bits
Tried
sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-4
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kicad
and got

kicad
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then trying compiling from
Get this branch:
bzr branch lp:kicad/4.0
Same error in both cases:

kicad
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There is a libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

lt /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Aug 14 2014 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0 -> libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0.8.0

I tried a

sudo ldconfig -v /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
didn’t help. I also tried a >export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ and now got

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
kicad
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I might mention this is the fourth or fifth time I have tried to install and run kicad. Has anyone successfully got it running in 64-bit Ubuntu 15.04? If so, can they share what was needed? It would be nice to try it, but it takes so much effort to even get it to run, it is very discouraging. Thank you.

windows user here, but maybe this will help?

[Building KiCad in Ubuntu - YouTube] [1]

Last reply in the comments by a bloke named Brooke Hedrick there might be most helpful:

Building on Utopic Unicorn
I tried following both sets of directions at http://www.kicad.org/display/DEV/Building+KiCad+on+Linux . I got stuck on the “easy way,” but I was able to resolve the couple of issues I ran into as I did it the “old reliable” way.
I believe this will put me at “head” / “master” or whatever bzr calls the most-recent version - 5333 for me
before you start - don’t add the trusty backport ppa
sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0
sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk-webview3.0-0
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk-webview3.0-dev
When building Kicad, use make -j 1 instead of make -j 4
http://www.kicad.org/display/DEV/Building+KiCad+on+Linux
It seems like there is some sort of concurrency issue.
before sudo make install, modify cmake_install.cmake and comment out the freerouter lines (3 of them including if and endif)
This fixes an error where freerouter.jnlp cannot be found
It looks like this has been fixed in 5335
Author: jean-pierre charras
Revision Date: 2014-12-22 13:10:29 UTC
Fix install issue after removing freeroute.jnl, now useless because freeroute is no
more accessible via the web.
(Kicad is still able to run freeroute if freeroute.jar is accessible)
add wxWidgets-3.0.2 folder detection in FindwxWidgets.cmake

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVsv3fhcKc

Thanks Joan, but this doesn’t seem to be the same problem I am having with:
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Their problem seems to be It seems like there is some sort of
concurrency issue. rather than a problem with not finding a shared library.
-Ken

I think the js-reynaud/kicad-4 PPA should work on Ubuntu 15.04 64 bits.
Maybe you have a conflict between PPAs or with files you compiled and installed manually.

Try the following:

• Remove everything related to KiCad from /usr/local/bin with sudo find /usr/local/ -name kicad -exec rm -r {} \;
  • Remove potentially conflicting PPAs from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (js-reynaud-ppa-kicad-…)
  • Run apt-get update
  • Reinstall with sudo apt-get remove kicad && sudo apt-get install kicad

This worked; thank you for the very clear and exact directions.

Yes, I concur, thank you for this method of cleaning out old crud.

I upgraded to 15.10 on a System76 laptop and was having no kicad windows startup, just instant segfaults. After following your method above, it didn’t work with apt-get install. Then I found after rerunning the kicad-install.sh (with a few edits such as removing obtaining docs), now kicad works perfectly. Also this helped clear out a bizarre problem where any kicad text entry box would not behave right as well as sometimes programs would not spawn from the main kicad program after clicking. I’ve never had kicad working this well. Cheers!