Can't prevent show of Value fields

rel=5.1.5-3 pcbnew
I am trying to prevent the show of selected “Value” fields for the fab layer. When I Edit the footprint and uncheck the “value” box. The value persists in showing. The only way to prevent this is to turn all of them off by unchecking the fab layer display.
Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks
Fritz

1 Like

If you edit the footprint library item, you must update the actual footprint placed on the PCB.
Once you put the footprint on the PCB, you can make the changes to the library footprint but the PCB instance will remain unchanged.
To update it, edit footprint, click on “Change footprint” and either update current one or also other parts of this type.

Sorry–I was not clear here. I am not editing the actual footprint in the footprint library.I am editing its properties in the PCBnew. Thus I type an “E” over the object to get the popup and see a field “Value” with a checkbox for “Show”.
when I uncheck the box the values still show in the layer in the dropdown–f.fab in this case.
thanks
fritz

A similar problem shows up when the library footprint has hidden value field. Value becomes visible after adding the footprint to the layout. It’s a pain to make them hidden since mass edit dialog is still on the roadmap.

I can not replicate the behaviours described with 5.1.5.

I observe that deselecting the visibility field of a value instantly makes it vanish. Adding a footprint from the lib with that field set to invisible inserts it as invisible.

Is it possibly you have enabled “show hidden text” in the items tab?

For me, no, I’ve not selected that option as default. But after your reply I’ve started to feel in doubt and tried to add a footprint again and seen the problem. Some of the downloaded footprints (provided by third parties like SnapEDA or UltraLibrarian) have crossed values for references and values. So making the value field does not help and Kicad makes it forcibly visible as we want that.

Like you Rene, I can not create the behavior I’ve mentioned earlier if I fix this issue.

Rene
I set up a new project with one component and cannot duplicate the problem so as you mention I must have a “hidden text” option enabled.
I cannot find this option- can you tell me where on the menus it is set?

fsonnichsen, It’s the tab next to layers (can be seen on the right side) with the title “Items”. Just turn the checkbox off.

2 Likes

OK—now I see it. That was indeed the problem.
Thanks to both of you
Fritz

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.