Can't load PCB after changing colour of value in Layer F.Fab

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to change the colour of the value text items in layer F.Fab for my documentation.
It did this by selecting the value text and changing the colour at the Properties panel.
But it didn’t seem to have any effect on the screen.

Unfortunately, it has an effect:
This morning I tried to load my project but loading the PCB failed with an error pointing to the text line which contains the additional “color” tag for the value item.
After deleting the corresponding line I could load my PCB file again.

I created a little demo project to show the problem:

ValueColourProblem.kicad_pcb (7.4 KB)
ValueColourProblem2.kicad_pcb (7.5 KB)

Please find the version info below.

Best regards

Michael

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.3, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22631), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
OpenGL: NVIDIA Corporation, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti/PCIe/SSE2, 4.6.0 NVIDIA 528.49

Build Info:
Date: Jun 3 2024 19:04:47
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.8.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1939 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

1 Like

To change colors you first need to use a personal color scheme. Kicad color schemes are read only.

Go to preferences > Symbol/Schematic/Footprint/PCB Editors and select Colors.
At the top centre you will see Theme: Kicad (read only).
Click the small triangle.
Select “New Theme”
Place a name in the Box and you will now have the same theme colors as shown in the read only theme, but with a different, new name.
This new named theme is read/write.

Completing this action will probably solve your opening problem.

See example below. All the JMK themes are read/write versions of other read only color themes.

I use my own colour scheme, that’s not the cause of the issue.

What I wanted to do is to change just the colour of the value text items on layer F.Fab. All other items on this layer should appear in default colour of this layer.

So I found that option in properties pane but:
a) it didn’t work
b) it will add a “color” tag to the value text items in the PCB file which KiCAD can’t understand when loading my PCB file again.

Best regards

Michael

grafik

grafik

You’re right.
Looks like you’ve discovered a pretty nasty bug. I tried your action with a Ref. text and I can no longer open my PCB, just an empty workspace.

I am using Linux Mint 21.3 & Kicad 8.0.3

Upgraded to 8.0.4-rc2 and tested. Also tested 8.99. Fault occurs on both.

Raised an issue on Gitlab here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/18368

2 Likes

I also confirmed this and added a comment on gitlab.

1 Like

The Dev’s comment over this matter appeals to my sense of humor.

Problem: The function doesn’t work.
Solution: Remove function.

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

I don’t know if I’m ruining anyone’s fun, but the point is that KiCad doesn’t support color in individual PCB items in any way. Colors are for layers and item types and don’t belong to the design, they are just for the UI (board view) and totally separate from the design itself. Being able to set (or write to the file or read from the file) the color of any individual item would be illogical. Even if KiCad could read the color value from the file without an error it would just be ignored.

Thanks Eelik.
There was not really a need for further explanation. I was not at all concerned if the function worked or not. The loss of the PCB was of more interest.
The reaction to the Issue, with the quick change of “Issue Title” and the almost “Woops, that shouldn’t be there” comment appealed to me.

I wasn’t finger pointing. I wasn’t complaining or criticizing or winging or anything else; just smiling to myself. :slightly_smiling_face:

I understand the humour and commented because it’s not necessarily clear to all readers what was going on.

1 Like