Can't export STEP file (null label has no attribute)

I’m trying to export a design in STEP format and I get the following error:

Warning: 0x55eaab4b3790 : Standard_NullObject: A null Label has no attribute.
Error: Unable to create STEP file. Check that the board has a valid outline and models.

There’s really no hint to what is happening. Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

Well, there is a bit of a possible hint - ‘a valid outline & models’. The 3d viewer requires a watertight outline and you can see what models are being loaded, so does your board look OK in the 3D view? (Pcbnew -> View -> 3d View (or Alt + 3)?

I took it for a generic message since I saw it on other similar errors I found reported, but in those cases there were previous messages indicating the issue.
Yeah, it loads OK on the 3D viewer. I’m using all step 3D models as well.
The only similar error I found is this one: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/1791
But as you see there are specific errors indicating what is wrong. My outline is based on arcs and segments, I’m not sure where are the splines mentioned in that issue come from.

You could try narrowing it down to the edge layer by moving the edge outline to a spare layer and then trying with a watertight rectangular board outline.

It was the outline in the end. I went through every vertex and re-snapped them to the next vertex and now it works.

Usually the 3D viewer is very sensitive to this sort of problem - hence the question about how it appears in this.

Pressing Edit for each segment to find non-integer end point coordinates is worth trying.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.