Can't add library

Hi, I’m comming from Eagle/EasyEda and I can’t install library, specifically Resistor_SMD. Do I need to unzip it, or am I missing something. In Eagle it was easier. Or am I downloading wrong library. I went to Preferences- Manage symbol library- Project specific- add empty row to table- add existing library to table and after that I can’t see my downloaded library. I’m on KiCad 7.0

Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

The Resistor_SMD library you mentioned is a footprint library, not a symbol one.

For laying a schematic you need symbol libraries (Resistors and other common components are in Device library BTW), then assign a footprint for each symbol.
Those footprints wil be visible in PCB editor.

You can create own libraries with already assign footprints, part numbers, etc. but default libraries don’t come line that.

Read about a KiCAD workflow or watch a few videos on YT explaining how KiCAD works.

I have never installed any KiCad library. They are always installed during KiCad installation (Windows).
Apparently it depends on the system.

As previous posters have said, what you have there is a footprint library not a symbol library, and you don’t need to install the standard libraries, they are installed together with the application.

You might want to review the steps and workflow in Getting Started in KiCad from here: https://docs.kicad.org/ It might save effort instead of jumping into the wrong spot.