Can't add a particular component in eeschma [SOLVED]

I am new to kicad (4.0.7, Ubuntu) and working on a layout with eeschema. I have downloaded footprints from componentsearchengine.com and added them to the libraries. I have had no trouble with 3 of the 4 in the following list produced by cat ~/.config/kicad$ cat fp-lib-table
(lib (name SN74141)(type Legacy)(uri /home/nick/Downloads/kiktemp/SN74141.mod)(options “”)(descr “”))
(lib (name PIC18F4420-I_P)(type Legacy)(uri /home/nick/Downloads/kiktemp/PIC18F4420-I_P.mod)(options “”)(descr “”))
(lib (name 1N-_12A)(type Legacy)(uri /home/nick/Downloads/kiktemp/1N-_12A.mod)(options “”)(descr “”))
(lib (name A2035H)(type Legacy)(uri /home/nick/Downloads/kiktemp/A2035H.mod)(options “”)(descr “”))
)

The last one (A2035H) does not appear in the list of options when I try to insert a component. Any suggestions would be gratefully received

(I added all the footprints in the same manner via the footprint editor in PCBNew and I can see the footprint when in the footprint editor)

Eh… that’s really old stuff.

So PCBnew and the Footprint Editor can see this footprint?

Can you please open the .mod file with a text editor and share it’s content with us?
I have a feeling that something in there is broken.

PS: you should convert those footprints into modern .kicad_mod files (1 file = 1 footprint) in .pretty folders (1 folder = 1 library) - might even exist a tool for it.
The old format you got there contains several footprints per file and it’s really obsolete.

Thanks, I’m going to mark this as ‘solved’. I imported the .mod but not the .lib

I think there is (still) a limit on the number of symbol libs you can load at any one time… so if you got a couple of singular libs like that from that source - no wonder you ran into trouble.

PS: your problem is confusing as you mixed (or didn’t clear up) what was causing trouble.
The title said symbol lib is not loading, but the text is only talking about footprints and doesn’t make clear that you have the problem in eeschema.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.