Cannot Open eeschema v6 (MacOS Mojave)

Not sure it helps but it works ok here on Mac OS 10.14.6 (18G9323)

So I am not sure what I have installed/configured that you don’t @JuliaTruchsess

I never used this system with the nightlies, but I have been using those on another one running 10.14.6 (18G9323) without issue for around 6 months now.

1 Like

Good to know it may not be Mojave, because I don’t really like upgrading my OS unless I have to. Now I’m in limbo waiting for the problem to be verified, especially if it happens under Windows, too (I use both OSs). Sticking with 5 for now.

Are you using 32 or 64 bit version?
@JuliaTruchsess
@Dico

There is no 32-bit MacOS version. I haven’t tried it yet under Windows.

I use a 64 bit system

OK so no luck there… stoull is related to long long conversion to string so my shot was that it might be related to kicad’s “bitness”.

Has this issue been reported on gitlab? If not, create an issue here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues

If I report my MacOS experience, it will be ignored because I’m on an unsupported platform.

Much better if @Dico files a bug report for his experience under Windows.

Perhaps, but regardless of who creates the issue, it should be noted in the issue that the problem occurs on (at least) two operating systems, for (at least) two users.

I am facing the same issue on MacOS Monterey version 12.0.1
Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 8.18.30 PM

1 Like

This bug is reported at KiCad Error - Application failed to load. Error loading editor. stoull: no conversion (#10211) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

Everyone who is facing this issue, please report it so that it can be resolved at the earliest.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Did you find any workaround other than rolling back the update?

No, I’m staying with 5 until the issue is resolved.

Getting “stoull” error on Windows 10.

EDIT: I added “Field Name Templates” in 5.12, after deleting that line from eeschema file under “C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\kicad\6.0” folder the problem got fixed.

That’s great news that you were able to fix the issue, but it’s not quite clear from your post exactly what you did. Can you please describe the fix in more precise detail? Thanks!

This issue is fixed in the 6.0 branch (and will be released in 6.0.1 eventually).

The issue was that 6.0 couldn’t handle anything in preferences with a . in it (now fixed). 6.0 preferences could end up with a . in them if 5.x preferences were imported and the old preferences had a ., for example a Field Name Template with a . in it. The example in the gitlab issue is LCSC Cost P.U..

For now you can work around it by starting from brand new preferences (delete your preferences and don’t import your 5.x preferences). Or you could be a bit more surgical and go through your preference file, find the offending bit, and delete it – I think that’s what @lightpower did. The specifics will depend on your preferences.

I added “Mfr. Part No.” to the Field Name Templates in 5.12. As @gkeeth mentioned, I deleted this entry from the eeschema file under C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\KiCad\6.0.

1 Like

Yes! Working now under Mojave. There are a lot of files in the prefs folder, so for anyone else needing to do this, the file in question is a text file called simply “eeschema”, without any extension. Near the end of that file (in my case) you’ll find the field name information like this:

[SymbolFieldEditor]
[SymbolFieldEditor/Show]
Footprint=1
Datasheet=0
Comments=0
Manufacturer=1
Manufacturer’s\ Part\ Number=1
Description=1
Package=1
Reference=1

Like @lightpower, I had an old field name with “no.” in it. Deleted that line and eeschema now opens. I actually had two “eeschema” text files in my installation, one in the “kicad” root directory and another in the “6.0” subdirectory. I edited both, and after running the app once it looks like the one in the 6.0 folder is gone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.