Cannot modify size of rectangle in Symbol Library Editor?

OK, so I came to the point where I need to draw my own schematic symbol; I’m using:

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-11-13 revision d98fc85)-master, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.2
    libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-104-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.54.0
    Curl: 7.35.0
    Compiler: GCC 4.8.4 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=OFF

And as part of that, I need to edit a rectangle. So I place a rectangle in Symbol Library Editor using the toolbar button on the right (first left-click once to set top-left corner, then left-click again at bottom-right corner to complete the rectangle):

Then I right-click on the rectangle, choose “Edit Rectangle Options”, I get the “Rectangle Drawing Properties” dialog - and in it, there is just “Width” as option, and it is set to 0.000 (mm)?

So, first question - where is the “Height” in this dialog? Can I somehow manually (i.e. numerically) specify the height?

Second, if I right-click on rectangle and choose “Drag Rectangle Edge” with left-click of mouse - only the left edge gets dragged, regardless of which rectangle edge I right-click over?!

Second question would have been - how can I do “Drag Rectangle Edge” over any edge of the rectangle; but I just discovered, if I hover with the mouse pointer over an edge, and press G, that actually does drag any edge, so this is not a problem anymore (EDIT: But only if the lines of the rectangle are on the current grid, seemingly: if you have a grid of say 50 mils, and you’ve drawn the rectangle at 10 mils where the lines/corners do not align with 50 mils grid, then doing G over an edge will still choose the left one). But it would still be nice to know why isn’t there a “Height” in the dialog…

It seems to be Drawing Properties, not Rectangle Properties. “Width” is line width (0 makes it to be some default). There is no Rectangle Properties dialog at all.

You can drag any edge but rendering is extremely buggy. You have to remember what you were going to do and neglect what you see. When you drag and then click again to end your action you will see what you wanted to get. At least with the latest build.

3 Likes

Thanks @eelik :

Ah, that makes sense - thanks for clarifying!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.