Cannot load aliases from library

When I open up the Symbol Library Editor, I get a few dozen error messages that I have to click through that say ‘Cannot load aliases from library “Altera”’, ‘Cannot load aliases from library “Zetex”’, etc.

Could someone help me find the source of these messages? Googling the error message doesn’t come up with anything very helpful. I assume these libraries are either built in, or from the Digi-Key set. I cannot, however, find any files that match the names in the error messages.

This is the v5.0 release version for Mac, running on OS X 10.13.5


Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0-3-g5ebb6b6), release build
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.0.20 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.0
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 17.6.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.67.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.51.0
Compiler: Clang 8.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:

These library names do not look like the names of libs from the official lib.
Check eeschema -> preferences -> library manager to find out where these libs live.

The error message suggests that there are some components defined in the .dcm file that do not exist in the .lib file

1 Like

The library manager says the path is ${KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR}/Altera.lib
There is definitely no file of that name in that path. Is this something I could have picked up from an older install of a 4.0 version, or one of the more recent, pre-release nightly 5.0 versions?

I assume I can “Remove Library” and nothing bad will come of it since the files aren’t there at all.

If this was a design from 4.0.7, I’ve seen something similar. Check your local sym-lib-table. The symbol library path/names that were saved in the .pro file may have been mapped to something non-existent in the project sym-lib-table during the conversion process. Removing them cleared up the reported errors.

I think I figured out what happened… Apparently I loaded all these libraries into my Global Libraries when I had an earlier version installed. When I over-wrote the Library folder installing the newer version, I didn’t update the Global Libraries … list? table?

I removed the missing libraries from the table and browsed and added all of the new ones. I guess I assumed that KiCad just knew where they were since the install called for them to be put in a specific place. Silly of me, I guess.

At any rate, I now have lots of new symbols to choose from! Thanks for your help.

And now, after trying to save a small change, all the diodes, resistor, and capacitor symbols in my schematic are broken. I’m beginning to understand what people mean when they talk about library management being non-trivial.

Double-clicking the symbol let me change the Library symbol. It was just a capitalization change… device -> Device. I think it’s all ok now.

Sorry to bother you with all this thrashing about. Thanks again for the help.

They should not really break as long as you have a valid cache library. (worst case you need to rescue them)

If you created your project using the v4 libs it might be a good idea to use the v4 libs to deal with this old project. (It is however not trivial to switch between different lib versions)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.