Cannot go to the Schematic/Layout editor using toolbar buttons anymore

In the past I used to use the toolbar button to “Open in board editor” and the “Open in Schematic Editor” to open the Board/Schematic editor but also to go to the editor if it is already open…

Right now in this version, it does not behave the same way anymore.

If the Board/Schematic editor is already open, then KiCad throws me the annoying “File opening warning” popup saying the Schematic/Layout is already open. If I say, “Open it anyway”, it will launch a new instance of the tool instead of focusing on the already opened one.

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.9-7.0.9~ubuntu23.10.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.13.1
	HarfBuzz 8.0.1
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.0.10 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.5 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Ubuntu 23.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Nov  8 2023 19:00:56
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 8.2.1
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: GCC 13.2.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Another annoying thing is that if I click “cancel” to not open another instance of the Editor with the current schematics/layout it will not open it but it will leave an empty instance of the editor there.

Are you running the pcb editor standalone instead of opening inside the KiCad project manager?

No. I am running a complete project, I also launched it with the main Kicad project window.

Something different I did this time was to use the “curved tracks” plugin which generated a new kicad_pcb file inside the same project (but with a different name). However, I am not editing that file. I am going to remove it to check if changes something.

After closing Kicad, and removing the files indicated with an arrow in this list it started to behave normal again.

Untracked files:
	#auto_saved_files#
	board-rounded.kicad_pcb <=======
	board-rounded.kicad_pro <=======
	board.round-tracks-config <=======
	~board.kicad_sch.lck

I have 7.0.9 on windows 11. the icon works fine. Perhaps it is only on the Linux version.

Works as intended on Linux. 7.0.9. If the desired editor is already open it switches to that window.

Yeah, It stared to work fine after closing kicad and launching it again. That’s weird.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.