Cannot get some zones to fill

I cannot seem to get new zones to fill correctly. I have read all of the previous suggestions. I even have been able to get some of them to work but others will not. I am new here so it will not let me upload a pic. I have 2 boards side by side. The original has a Ground Plane on the back. It fills just fine. I also have a small island on the front. On the new board there are full pads inside. There is a MCU on the top with via’s to the back. There are THT pin headers. I have resized it several times. Nothing seems to work. I even shut the software down and still nothing. My system is a Mobile Workstation so it has tons of power and memory including 6Gigs on the video card so no hardware issues. Any new suggestions?

The problem must be where you don’t expect it. Double check the zone net assigment. Zone priority is important. If some poligons overlap, priority decide which one occupy the area. If two polygons overlap and priority is the same: “Houston, we have a problem”. Via or pad stiching: double check the net assigment. What else? I’ve never encountered any problems when filling zones. If there were any, it was only because of me.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Drewman89521

New Member Information in the FAQ (top of this page) will show you how to self promote so you are able to post images.

Also please supply your Kicad version. Find it by opening Kicad, going to help / About Kicad / then click “copy version” (top RH corner) and then paste into a post on this forum.

Zones don’t fill if they cannot connect to any pad of their net.

1 Like

Or if it is so mall it can’t fill due to clearance requirements.

That wasn’t it. Already checked all that. I figured it out but am going to answer the replies before I reveal the magic answer…

6 - I figured it out but am going to answer the replies before I reveal the magic answer…

I have Via’s and Through Pin Headers that are on the GND net. That wasn’t it. Already checked all that. I figured it out but am going to answer the replies before I reveal the magic answer…

I figured it out. The MAGIC answer… I had not created the EDGE yet. I copied over a footprint of a Adafruit board and the outline is on the Front Silkscreent. Once I modified the Footprint it fixed the issue. This might be a new bug for the developers. Who knows. Thanks to all who jumped in there and tried to help. You guys really stepped up and quickly I might add. I really appreciate it.

4 Likes

Not a bug.
Zones can’t fill without knowing what to fill… zones need a board outline. Edge cuts is the board outline. :slightly_smiling_face:

Every PCB should have some edge… For sure is not a bug i appreciate that zones not grow beyond PCB edge.

Yeah… Thanks Guys. Took me 2 hours to figure it out. :smile:

If you open four more different topics and read another twenty one posts you will promote yourself to “Basic”, which means you may upload whatever you wish to this forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.