Cannot create User2 layer

Hi.
I have enabled User2 layer (to be used as V-scoring)
However when I generates the plots , and selected it, it does nor generate it.
All the other layers are fine.

What is the issue?
Thank you.

I donā€™t know about using such layers but I looked in my v7 plot menu and the closest thing is User.Eco2. Is that what you mean? And does this mean you are not using v7? Post the version info for the KiCad that you are using.

You can add user defined layers in the board setup but I donā€™t know what they may be used for yet.

Hi. Thank you for your reply.
I am using V7.
Surely one should be able to plot any selected layer.
Regards.

:person_shrugging: Only thing I can think of is did you enable it in the Board Setup? Otherwise wait for someone who knows, Iā€™m just a janitor here. :wink:

1 Like

However when I generates the plots , and selected it, it does nor generate it.
What is the issue?

The issue: Not enough information to help you.

• which plot output type?
  • how is your plot-output setting (picture from plot output window)
  • maybe helpful: add your project as project-archive (so we can check the USER2-layer is properly set and enabled in board setup)
  • which kicad version? (I just tested with my v7-installtion and layer ā€œUser2ā€ plots fine as gerber output)

Hi @FrancescoC

You need to Right click on the word User2 then define the purpose of the layer.

I did an experiment.
I plotted all the layers.
According to the generated list, all the layers were plotted.
However, when i checked in the file folder, all the User1 to User9 were missing.
However, the User.Eco were generated correctly.
Strange!
Regards.

See my previous post.

Hi to all.
I have found the solution.
I selected ā€˜Fabrication Outputsā€™, from File menu.
Instead I should have selected ā€˜Plotā€™ from File menu. Now works OK.

It is more instinctive to select the first one.
What is the reason to have very similar operation?

In any case I would like to thank you for your time.
regards

Arenā€™t these just two ways of doing the same thing ? they both get you to the Plot window (if you select Gerbers after Fabrication Outputs).

Hi Raptor,
I have tried again, without changing anything, and the thing is working OK using both menus!
I got no idea why it failed earlier be so, but it is all working fine.
The only thing I did differently was to restart KiCad. Maybe an issue with system?

Regards

1 Like

During last few days it happened to me that KiCad (7.0.2) behaved in some way not normally. I donā€™t remember what the problem was about. Restarting helped.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.