Cannot convert schematic to PCB

hi there,
I have created a new schematic and generated the netlist.
when press add netlist in PCB no components are there even if there is no error.

What version of Kicad are you using?

Equally you have pressed “Update PCB” ?

1 Like

He is using a nightly build.

It’s a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1793396

2 Likes

no component is shown even though I pressed update PCB button.

No @bobc i am not using nightly build.
this is my version:

Application: kicad
Version: 6.0.0-rc1-unknown-cd5b1c2~66~ubuntu16.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.58.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.47.0
Compiler: GCC 5.4.0 with C++ ABI 1009

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

This IS a nightly. Version 5 is the current stable.

Duh…that is a nightly build.

Anyway Mr Clueless, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

yes i did the same but it installed kicad 6.0.0.
now i remove this version again re install it right?

Clueless…
what does it mean @bobc?

read the instructions on the ubuntu download page. You need to disable the ppa that is responsible for installing nightly as ubuntu otherwise always installs the version with the highest version number (this means you will always get the nightly build as long as that particular ppa is installed)

Section “Migration from legacy nightly build”

The developers really ought to change this to something less confusing. It seems to trip up a lot of people. In every other version numbering scheme I know of, “rc1” means something very close to release.

Maybe it should be 5.9.9-unstable1, or something like that?

I have already argued that something like previous published version number + git hash is logical and used by many projects. It looks like 5.0.0+git_c22fd187.

the way done by kicad is also used successfully. Example by freecad.

Your suggestion would also be confusing. But instead of users thinking they have the next stable version they would think they have the current version. (At least with v6 in the string they would get suspicious when they never find an announcement of the v6 release. with v5 in there they see the announcement and think they have the current stable)

Another reasoning is that using a newer version number allows linux packagers to use this version string directly in the package.

That would be an argument for going with a scheme where even numbers are releases and odd numbers are development versions.

But I think even more important than the number would be to have the string “unstable” or “nightly” in the version somewhere, rather than “rc”, which usually means “release candidate” (i. e. something very close to being released).

As we’ve seem on thus forum, though, a lot of folks don’t get suspicious, and just take the version number at face value.

thank you @Rene_Poschl I rectified the issue.

Indeed, I was going to say there will probably soon be people “announcing” that KiCad v6 is available, and then I saw this :slight_smile:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/kicad/how-demanding-is-it-to-run-kicad-5/msg1850831/#msg1850831

So there you go, KiCad v6 is already a thing!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.