Can not import .kicad_sym

Not imported, simply added to my list of Symbol libraries . . .

Both methods, adding as a library or importing into an existing (writable) library, work, I tried both on Alperā€™s test symbol.

Echoing what Alper said, It seems there is an error in the file that was attempted. Jason should attach it so that we can look at it, instead of just a phone shot.

1 Like

Even Iā€™m using KiCad since 2017 I have never tried File-Import Symbol in symbol editor (I always used right-click at symbol Iā€™m interested in and Save Asā€¦).

I have tried (7.0.11) how it works and it seems that it not works as I would expect.
In Symbol editor I selected one my library (IcDigi) then from main menu I selected File-Import Symbolā€¦ and I have selected library IcPower.kicad_sym and clicked [Open] button. I got 1117S33 symbol loaded to IcDigi library.
The same effect I got when I right-click at IcDigi library and selected Import Symbolā€¦
There are many power Ic symbols in my IcPower.kicad_sym library. I didnā€™t get a chance to select which one of them I want to import. Kicad authoritatively select one symbol and loaded it.
When I open IcPower library 1117S33 is even not the first one symbol listed. May be it was first that I have inserted in this library (donā€™t remember - it was in 2017).

If I tried to do it in past I would certainly report it as a bug in V7.

Hi all,

Iā€™m having issues with importing symbol files into V8 too!

It seems that ā€œ.kicad_symā€ file types have been omitted from the file type filter!

Can someone put it back, and send out an update?

Many thanks
Pedro

The answer is above in this post: Can not import .kicad_sym - #4 by RaptorUK

Thanks for your reply.

Where do I enter *.*

Kind regards
Pedro

Also, when you pull down the list of ā€œSupported Formatsā€ *.kicad_sym is no longer there!

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Pedro

Why do you need to import ?

Thank you for your reply.

I donā€™t know how to Add it as a symbol, I only know how to Add it as a library.

If I Add it as a library, I canā€™t Add it into a category (eg - Regulator).

Kind regards
Pedro

There are use cases for importing a symbol and adding a library. The former is good when you want to add one or a few to your own library without accepting the whole library and name. The latter is good when itā€™s a collection of related symbols you want that should stay together.

OP it looks like you didnā€™t unpack the zip file so there were no .kicad_sym files to look for. The file chooser here isnā€™t like those OS file choosers that can look into zip archives.

Thanks again for your reply.

I have unzipped the files. It is filtered out by the mask excluding .kicad_sym filesā€¦

Kind regards
Pedro

Are you in the manage libraries dialogue or the import symbol dialogue? Others seem to get a filter box. BTW I think itā€™s a bug that a blank filter isnā€™t equal to *.*.

Also you never told us your KiCad version.

In your version, pull down the Support Formats list - is .kicad_sym listed?

Kind regards
Pedro

I have v7 so it may have changed in v8. I have a dropdown selection like this:

Other choices (which I cannot show and take a screenshot of) are .kicad_sym only or .lib only.

I should probably leave this topic since it may be different in v8 and what I write may not be valid.

Thank you,

In V8, the .kicad_sym has been removed!

I want someone to put it back ASAPā€¦

Kind regards
Pedro

Raise an issue on Gitlab then. There may already be one you can upvote.

Is it Gitlab or Github?

KiCad moved to Gitlab some time ago. Easiest way to get there is from Help > Report Bug.

Iā€™m not a member of Gitlab, nor do I want to beā€¦

Kind regards
Pedro

Hope that enough other people think itā€™s a bug then.