Can KiCad schematics/layouts be converted to Altium?

I’m currently waiting on a license for Altium designer from my company. I was thinking it would be beneficial if I could get a jump start on the schematic/layout on kicad until my license request goes through. Although, ultimately the schematic/layout will need to be done via Altium, so if there was a way to convert kicad schematics/layouts to Altium that would be perfect.

Any help is appreciated.

It would be up to the Altium designers to provide the import path. I doubt they will. Other than getting some ECAD experience I don’t know if much will be transferable.

4 Likes

Once your company has paid for the Altium licence and support, it is your right to ask Altium if they can import KiCad. Only they fully understand their own closed file structure and KiCads structures are fully published, so only they can write an importer.

1 Like

thanks for the help!

A quick search:
https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=kicad+altium+convert
suggests that there is at least some “altium2kicad” converter, which goes the other way.

Seems to make more sense to me also.
Once you have leaned how to use KiCad effectively I find it hard to imagine why you would want to switch to something else.

Maybe one day, if an autorouter is invented that really works…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.