Can I draw coloured traces?

I can’t find anything in the Eeschema Manual which describes changing trace colour in a schematic. Other packages (e.g. TinyCAD) permit this so that the schematic can more closely resemble the colours in the wiring loom. Can I do this in KiCad, and if so then how?

1 Like

No this is not possible.

1 Like

Perhaps one of the merry beavers who do such a great job of creating KiCad will take the idea on board :wink:. Methinks the concept has merit.

1 Like

Take it over to the bugtracker. But don’t expect too much as this will most likely be very low priority. (A well designed schematic should not need colored traces to be readable.)

I kwon that MultiSim and others that I used in past allow this.
Perhaps @Vagulus, report this wish on the https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad, at least can go in a development’s queue.

I posted a question there, but here’s another. What is this at_Vagulus nomenclature everyone uses?

Refer you really taging you, not just writting your name freely.

What? :astonished: Am I suppose to have a Facebook account or something? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Why would I want a Facebook account or whatever? :roll_eyes: What possible connection can there be between a Facebook account and this Forum? :thinking:

Having seen what Facebook, Twitter and the like do to the minds of students these days, I don’t want anything to do with them. My mind is fried enough as it is! :grin: That’d be nearly as bad as having anything to do with The Cloud ! :face_vomiting:

Believe me, at_Vagulus availeth you nothing! :sleeping:

2 Likes

It has absolutely nothing to do with Facebook! Your name is tagged here on the forum which usually sends you an email notification to say that someone mentioned you in a post.

Looks like someone just learned how to use emoticons. :wink:

Edit: Sorry, the notification is not sent by email, it is sent through the browser and also displayed by clicking on your avatar icon at the top-right corner of the page.

2 Likes

Whilst you can’t colour individual traces in eeschema, you could add a colour key using the ‘Add bitmap image’ tool; a 28px square block tags onto global labels quite neatly but this key obviously doesn’t propagate to other instances of the tag. (I have also hacked my default colours, but that is a separate issue).

1 Like

@1.21Gigawatts and @Vagulus: it can be configured, open your avatar icon in top right corner of the page, click your user name, select Preferences -> Emails.

NIce organization tip.

Nice trick. Then if you want to use THT test points, Keystone has a series of color coded testpoints in all 10 of the resistor color code colors so one can match the test point color to the assigned signal color. The miniature ones fit a 0.1" grid spacing. Testpoint 50nn Multipurpose.pdf (271.8 KB)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.