Can admins add dark theme for this forum?

Basically, see subject.

Here is a nice looking dark theme, instructions make it seem pretty easy to add.

1 Like

In the meantime:

Dark Reader Chrome Extension
Dark Reader Firefox Add-on

Yeah, I’m aware of such extensions but they all require “read and change all your data on websites you visit” permission, so anyone who installs them is putting a helluva lot of trust in that code someone put up on the internet. Might as well publish your credit card details and bank passwords online.

Well, to me it looks like that this forum then has to put trust into code, that someone put on the internet, unless we create our own.

This link is in the theme you linked:

For the overall procedure:

I’m open to it, but not the ‘owner’. I’ll ask Chris what he thinks about it.

PS: I’m running ‘Dark Mode’ for Firefox after 22:00, which works well.

Yes you will have to trust or verify the code too. Difference is in scope of exposure in case of a breach.

If someone hacks an extension than ALL your website data, passwords and all sorts of private info is compromised.

If forum theme repo is hacked than at worst admins will have to reset passwords and maybe rollback the db couple of days.

Anyway, I hope forum owner will consider this.

Discourse has a theme interface that is pretty straightforward, no plugins required. The big thing would be controlling the colors and the icons to look better.

As of right now, I don’t see much reason to do this. Is it just preference?

Preference and ergonomics. I catch myself wincing at night when switching to a tab with forum open because it’s 98% bright white.

As far as I understand it that theme interface has ability to directly load a theme someone compiled already so why not use that? It doesn’t have to change default theme, just give users another option.

I dislike and avoid dark colored themes on my computer. I especially dislike white text on a black or dark background.

No one is forcing you to use it, I’m asking to add an option.

If I could completely avoid it, that would be great!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.