CAD models in kicad

Well I can’t code so I can’t “help myself” in this regard.
As you suggest there is no point in trying to take solid edge up on the matter. In the past i have reported problems and been told that it is not a problem or that no one else has complained so they ignore it.

Why don’t you start with a simple 10x10x10 mm box instead?
Use all export options there are and make as many versions as possible.

Why insist on FreeCAD/KiCAD being at fault?

I showed you that the professional ‘work-in-progress’ tool Autodesk Inventor 2018 wasn’t able to use your file either.

It took me 6 versions until I got the export of sheet metal set up correctly, so that the blokes at the local lassercutting service we’re able to use the files without complaints/re-work.

1 Like

i am sorry i am trying to keep up with the answers, and if I am to try a suggested solutian that will take time. The persons reading this thread seem to want to read a lot jinto anything i say. you say I ignore others yet my replies and answers are also ignored. No i am not a troll, this seems to be a very easily used throw away accusation of anyone these days that is unwelcome, beleive me I am not a troll. I have not spent several hours already looking at the latest version of the Kicad software for nothing and I really have better things to do with my time than troll.

Yes this afternoon when I am home I will do some more experimenting. As you say interprogram communication is never as smooth as we would like.

1 Like

I did not say or mean to say that it is faulty as in it can’t read the files as it reads what has been made so far but the fact that it crashes (under windows) is not very reasuring and prevents me from trying anything with it.

That is amusing… so ‘opinions and experiences’ are valued nothing for you?
Normally you would have to pay for support…
BTW as already stated your STEP file is not a step file.
I also tried the STPZ extension, which is an other standard ISO format to compress STEP files, but your format doesn’t even adhere to this standard (which need to be unzippable by standard compressor sw).
https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/227278
https://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/support-of-step-ap242-and-stpz-in-inventor-2016-tip10495

Probably SolidEdge is applying a different standard of proprietary compression, saving the file.
But the compression is probably just an option you missed to discover when saving the STEP file.

You really didn’t meant it is KiCAD/FreeCAD fault?

Moreover I asked which version have you tested, but you just didn’t reply.
And just to be clear, a huge number of KiCAD users are here at the forum, many of them are using commercial CADs, and nobody has raised the same issue at this forum.
So, I would suggest to ask yourself if all the users don’t need to exchange files among CADs, or if it is you that are in the need to increase your skills.

I just downloaded Solid Edge and saved random model as step. It was perfectly fine ascii format and freecad opened it no problem.

So either OP is a master troll and wasted a lot of our time or something went wrong during upload process.
I’m gonna give them benefit of the doubt one last time and ask to reupload their step file.

2 Likes

Why would I be a troll? ok so you have solid edge, can you open my model? just to see that it is jenuine solid edge step file?

I have already tried to explain but you chose to not listen. In my model I have an extruded text, this is the sort of thing that can cause issues, other things that tend to become misinterpreted are surfaces but I don’t use those.

No I can not, tried, it won’t open. Can you? Try downloading it from the forum and opening in your copy of SE. I will bet it won’t open.
Because it’s not a step file, not even close. Doesn’t matter what features are in the model.

1 Like

i did say that I downloaded the latest version when I installed kicad. As for my skills I can tell you that I can indeed select “step” on a save as menu and as I have already explained I have used this model elsewhere granted the elsewhere may have been more accepting of a non standard model but I can confirm that this model has been opened by other non solid edge software.

Ah, my appologies, the files are indeed all corrupt. I recently had an issue with windows encrytion were it shredded a load of stuff.

So try this one now.0805 resistor.stp (352.2 KB)

I have not noticed the issue because circuit studio incorporates the model into the footprint library.

And it opens in freecad. Very sorry I should have double checked the file.

1 Like

Yep, opens for me too. There you go, glad this got cleared up.

Oh, you don’t know how glad I am, thank you for your help.

this is not a clear information… you at least would need to add the downloaded file name.

I’m glad you finally solved your issue…

OK so I take it to use 3D models I must have a corresponding wrl file or I have nothing to link through? to be honest I am a little confused as if freecad does step models and is the interpreter why are wrl neccessary at all? I know there may be some history from wings 3D.

Strictly speaking you don’t need wrl, you can attach a step file to a footprint and it works fine. But wrl “looks nice” while many step models don’t have colors. Step is meant for mechanical information. If you have both wrl and step files with the same name (except the file extension) in the same directory you should attach the wrl file to the footprint and KiCad finds the step file when needed. Wrl is used e.g. when rendering in KiCad’s internal 3d viewer.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand this thing about wrl looking better. Yes step files can have colours, you just have to apply them. Most manufacturers do not bother. I usually open a step file from a manufacturer and put it in the correct orientation and colour it in and then resave it. the attached is all step model.

what’s wrong with the appearance of the resistor, granted I did not put too much work into it but it suit all needs. Perhaps the data format oy wrl is easier for certain programs to hondle? I don’t know. either way saving a wrl file is not a prblem through freecad, solid edge does not seem to support it.

What you say about colors and looks is true. It begins to matter if someone wants photorealistic images. It’s possible to export vrml for an external raytracing program (e.g. Blender). Some people know they need it, the rest don’t have to care. I have learned to use FreeCAD and StepUp to export step models, either self-made or aquired from 3d party, to KiCad. It exports both step and wrl automatically, so I don’t have to think about it.

1 Like

you need to learn about KiCAD and the 3D viewer…
(hope this time you wouldn’t argue again about not helping but insulting you :stuck_out_tongue: )
both STEP and WRL have colors
but only WRL format supports material properties like:
Ambient,Diffuse,Specular,Shininess that are useful when 3D raytracing or rendering…