CAD models in kicad

The STEP files I export from Autodesk Inventor adhere to the rule.
Maybe it’s time to complain to Siemens to do something about their STEP file export?

All dandy, but its YOUR tool that doesn’t work correctly.
You have to take that up with the vendor of that tool.

It’s not KiCAD or FreeCAD 's job to try to understand non-compliant file formats from other tools.

PS:

1. Which option did you chose for STEP?

2. Did you do the steps and exported the part into some intermediate format, before exporting it as STEP?

1 Like

Do you know where “home” is, for the person who posted that proverb?

I first heard it more than half a century ago, from an old machinist (tool & die maker). This was in the region known in the U.S. as the “midwest” (Michigan). As best I recall his words, the expression was:

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

As a teen, I understood that to mean:

Take responsibility for the work you produce.

A decade or two later, with more life experience, I saw that proverb in a slightly different light:

Know yourself, and what you are capable of doing with the resources you have. Don’t promise what you can’t deliver. Have the integrity to admit that something is beyond your abilities.

Another decade or two, and I’m at a “steam and gas engine show” (or This One) with my kids. One of the presentations discussed the evolution of the Town Blacksmith Shop, to the Auto Repair Garage. One of the talking points was that a primary task of the Blacksmith’s Apprentice was to make his own set of tools, and his apprenticeship wasn’t finished until the Master Craftsman was convinced the apprentice had not only the skills, but also the tools, to do quality work. When machine tools became common in the last half of the 19th century, the early machinists did likewise - making many of the fixtures, gauges, jigs, squares and accessories they would use for the rest of their careers. Suddenly, I understood why the proverb stressed " . . . HIS tools.". They weren’t “the company’s tools”. They weren’t tools that he just happened to have. The craftsman had personally crafted many of those tools, and carefully specified others. If a tool had limitations, he alone was responsible for accepting the limitations, mitigating them, or eliminating them.

If your tool isn’t up to the task, learn to use it in a way that minimizes the limitations, or make (or otherwise obtain) a better tool.

Dale

6 Likes

And this is where open source shines. With closed source you are stuck with what you get. With open source we are back at a time when you can make your own tools or at least make them fit your needs if necessary.

1 Like

You are not reading my posts. And there is no help to accept except that I am being told I do not know what I am doing. So let’s recap: Solid edge has a save as option like most. In the list of formats available there is a step format. Beleive it or not (you obviously don’t beleive it!) I actually have the skills to select this option. I get out a file with a step extension which should be a prettty big clue that Solid Edge really thinks this is a step file, with me so far?

These files WORK in Dipptrace, Proteus and Circuit studio, not to mention the fact that no one I have dealt with “mechanically” has ever told me that the file I have sent them is not a step file. I have been as reasonable as possible about the situation trying to resolve in but I have had insults and scorn poured all over me!

Now what was the help you had to offer again? more insults perhaps?

Yes I did exactly that! what else would I do, I repeat! Diptrace, Proteus and Circuit studio all use these files with no problem!

Yes I did suggest a while back that maybe there is a difference in opinion between the programs as to what a step file is but my attemps to get to the bottom of the issue is being ignored because it’s more fun to pour insults and scorn on me! Good luck getting the world to adopt kicad.

The world will adopt KiCAD based in its merits as a Open Source tool for Electronic Design, not based based on a public user’s forum attempt to help someone not prepared to accept it.

EDIT: Try to export the same model on both STEP types from the menu AP203 and AP214, maybe one would work.

p.s. Your file “0805 resistor.stp” gives the following result on a MIME check:
File Type: data

MIME Type: application/octet-stream
Suggested file extension(s): bin dms lha lzh exe class so dll img iso

A valid STEP file returns the following:

File Type: ASCII text

MIME Type: text/x-c;
Suggested file extension(s): N/A

1 Like

This STEP issue is interesting. I fed the file to a free online viewer https://beta.sharecad.org/en/ and it found some model inside. Is it possible that there’s some kind of nonstandard compression format used and understood by some programs? The contents of the file give absolutely no hint, it’s just random looking raw data.

This is the output of Autodesk Inventor 2018 Professional via HTML (the program itself seems to have really not liked what it got served):

So I’d say the problem lies squarely with Solid Edge and Siemens there.
Go to their support folk and complain to them please.
FreeCAD/KiCAD can do squat about your tool not working to the common spec, even if other Tools might have gone to lengths to accommodate your tools output and make it useable in theirs.
No one pays KiCAD or FreeCAD devs to do that.
If you still insist on this, I’d say get some money out and find a programmer who does that for you.

1 Like

Mmm, I try the same tool and I got an empty box. Then I took a small random file and try to open it, didn’t show me anything but a blank page, but if I change the extension of the same file to STEP or STP I get the same empty box as with the original file :slight_smile:. More like the application assumes that it is a model based on the extension, but it doesn’t complain if it cannot open it.

And I never said solid edge was not at fault, I did say there may be some difference in opinion in what a step file is between programs but I was told that I am too stupid to select the right format. I would assume that Diptrace, Proteus and Circuit Studio have bought an import/export tool to integrate so this may be more flexible as you suggest whereas I assume that on freecad it was written from scratch strictly to the standard.

Right now to the actual point of me starting this topic. As i said i am happy with the supplied models fol the standard packages but things like connectors and other weird things will probably not be in the library as there are so many and this is where I would make my own libraries and my own models or worse have to import the model from the manufacturer. If i download a step file from TE will it work? I have no control over how they do their models and can only beleive that they have given me a true step file. All ECAD programs have always accepted these files with some exceptions from diptrace that went baserk. As i said even between MCAD programs we have seen issues in the past and manufacturing errors were narowly avoided when models showed up with slight defects in interpretation.

Sorry there is no difference in opinion. One of them is demonstrably wrong. step is an international standard! Only files that adhere to it can be called compliant.

Lets make an analogy. You can not use lead in your product and call it RoHS compliant. Similarly with step. It can not be a binary file if the standard requires it to be ascii.

2 Likes

For the record, this is not true:

was told that I am too stupid to select the right format

That is how you interpreted the attempts of help from the other people, they do not know you or your background or your abilities. So, based in your error description and previous experiences they suggested the common/obvious solutions to you. Do not be that defensive we are trying to help and push, but it is difficult when there seems to be hostility or appears that the person asking for help is not willing to listen.

Now, in regard the step models; i have used public models from Molex, TE, Harting, Kemet, etc. without issues, sometimes a bit of fixing was needing for the orientation or correct placement, but in general all went smooth. I’m a big fan of @maui 's StepUp tools, they have helped me with those corrections and small fixes, I 100% recommend it.

4 Likes

No there is a difference of opinion. As you have pointed out what solid edge “thinks” is a step file is not going by the standard so it seems that two or more programs have different erm, opinions as to what is right? I don’t know what else to call it. Solid edge says it is a step but the standard and programs that strictly adhere to the standard don’t, both can’t be right so I’d call solid edges assertion that j"this is a step file" more of an opinion than fact?

Yeah, well, what kind of guarantee to do you want from us on this?
We can’t give you any really.

And if you’re going to make your own models - I thought someone was around who used Solid Edge at some point in the past - you will need to find a way to make it work if you want to stick with Solid Edge.
Be it finding a programmer who is capable to modify the KiCAD/FreeCAD toolchain to add this non-conformant STEP format or getting a script of sort done, which does the translation externally…
It all boils down to us here not being able to do anything about it and your complaining that KiCAD doesn’t while Diptrace, etc. do being kinda useless.

Have you followed the advice in the video I linked.
They seem to propare the part/assbmle before exporting it to STEP via some internal conversion process.
And next, have you tried both versions of the STEP export format that this guy had available?
There was AP203 and AP214.
If push comes to shove… have you tried VRML export and see how that works?
KiCAD can read and display WRML data… maybe Siemens got that one right?

Opinions have no place in engineering. We work with facts. The fact is your file is not a step file. No matter who is at fault this is demonstrably true by simply pointing to one of the first lines of the standard.

1 Like

Correct although people do have opinions. Sure going by the standard solid edge is lying if you ask their developers they may not see it that way :wink:

You see, that’s the difference between open source and closed source.
With open source one at least has the option of doing something about it, if one is determined and/or capable enough.
So good luck with the people over at Solid Edge. They or you will need it I guess.

I don’t want anything from you. I am just looking for opinions and experiences. That freecad is work in progress is simply a fact. For all i know there are various aspects of the step standard that may not be implemented yet. That is why i asked if maybe my extruded name could be the issue just in case some types of feature do not work so well with freecad yet. I can’t find this out much for myself because it just crashes on me. Even in MCAD it is not uncommon that features come out different when a step file is opened, usually this happens when more complex features are used not to mention surfaces.

You sure? https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Surface_Module (Not saying it is at the level of Catia but then again freecad does not cost >1000€ either.)

Edit: And you did it again. One of your opinions was shown to be wrong and you switched topic. I have now decided you are a troll and will from now on ignore you. I suggest everyone else to do the same for the sake of our own sanity. Let Sparky get the last word that is what they want.

Another friendly suggestion for a public forum. Acknowledge what it was helpful to you or what did answer your question and not only the parts that you don’t agree on or that you see as a provocation/conflict.

I believe I answered your question about public models in my previous post, however, you don’t seem to have read it or if you read it, you kept it to yourself. To the persons reading the thread, it seems that you are not listening, trolling or looking for a discussion.

2 Likes