Cache to lib extraction tool - Please

I’m on a trip and forgot to bring a copy of my private footprint lib (actually symbols too). I’d like to ask the Python gurus if they could easily make a tool to list all the parts in a cache-lib and allow a user to extract symbols or footprints to a private lib.

I could do it with a text editor but a tool might have wider utility.

Running a recent nightly and I’m not getting any prompt for a rescue or other.

Symbols: duplicate the cache-lib, rename it as whatyouwant.lib and add it with the library manager as any other library. This library will include all the symbols used in the project.

Footprints: File->Archive footprints->Create a new library and same as before, load the library wih the footprints manager.

1 Like

This will only get half the information for your symbols. What is normally in the .dcn file (datasheet links, aliases, etc) is already embedded in the shematic file so is missing from the cache-lib. Just be aware of this limitation.

1 Like

Pedro - thanks for those tips. Everything is easier when you know the tricks!

For footprints, you don’t need anything. You’ve got Archive footprints option under pcbnew File menu.

As for extracting -cache.lib the recommendation from @pedro used to work for V4 and with V5 I’d recommend against it as -cache.lib changed formats a couple of times between V5 nightly, 5.0.0 and 5.0.2.

The best way is to open the design, let the eeschema rescue all symbols and you have -rescue.lib which is properly formatted and already included in the project via project local sym-lib-tabele

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.